what is the corrcect formula for the compound potassium iodide? please explain how you got that thank you!!!?

Favorite Answer

KI. The atomic symbol for potassium is K and of iodine I. The charge on elements of group IA of the periodic table, which is where K is, is +1. The charge on iodide in group VIIA is -1. So the two go together 1:1 as KI. Elements in group VIIA can form other ions, such as hypoiodite, OI-, iodite, IO2-, iodate, IO3-, and periodate, IO4-. But they don't enter in here.

Formula for potassium iodide is KI

One way to make potassium iodide is to react the hydroxide with hydroiodic acid. The resulting salt can then be purified by recrystallization.

KOH(aq) + HI(aq) → KI(aq) + H2O(l)

the other way is to react potassium metal with halogens to form potassium halides. So, it burns with iodine, I2, to form potassium(I) iodide, KI.

2K(s) + I2(s) → 2KI(s)

• teachr

Simply:

KI

Because 'K' is a +1 ion and 'I' is a -1 ion. Since their sum is zero, all is well, no subscripts needed.

Get an "A".