is american express a good card to have?

i've got a visa and mc, but want to know what amex can do that those can't..

Favorite Answer

American Express is accepted in just about every store and restaurant. Not all restaurants take MasterCard and Visa. You can get traveler's checks at American Express offices and gift cards also. AmEx is the only major credit card I keep now. I paid the rest of my credit cards off and closed the accounts.

Honestly... It depends. Do you typically carry a balance on your cards? If so, then Amex is not a good match, because I've been told you get penalized for not paying your balance to zero every month. If you don't usually use your cards for anything but something big that you pay off quickly, I'd say go for it.

If you have money to rotate, use AMEX as they give you cool set of features, esp. in NYC and LA, right from restaurants priority booking, concert tickets in Broadway, cruise deals...

BUT BUT BUT, if you are not able to pay it in full every month, your APR will touch the sky... and you will be paying for ever...

• Jody

AMEX has high to no limit but bills are supposed to be paid in full every month or your intrest rate will skyrocket!

It depends on how well you do with them. The orginal green ones have to have the total balance paid the follow month a charge(s) are place on them. The new blue one are like regular cards that cah hold a recurring monthly balance. So I ask again, how well are you with credit cards.

I found a wide choice here.

hell no.........only if you have a ton of money to begin with......you have to pay in full every month........dont do it.............im telling you.......you ll be screwed............