Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 decade ago

Some one told me if you poor water on a windsheild to get the ice or snow off it will crack the windshield....

have any of you actually seen this happen?

• Favorite Answer

If you pour very hot water it can crack.

Coach

It can, simply because of the temp change. If you must do this, only pour cold water on it. The best option is an ice scraper, or better yet, do what I do when it ices and snows. When the weather calls for ice over night, I always put a big piece of cardboard over my windshield and leave it. In the morning, I just pull off the cardboard and I have a clean windshield in no time. Granted, the board may take a little muscle to get off, depending on how much Ice is one the car, but this really works. It saves me a lot of time.

Ever noticed that most Windshields Crack in the Winter?? I have lived in Canada the last 5 years, had an Windshield crack most of each winter, can't prove it was from the Water dough. Glass is more Fragrile when it is cold too! Good luck!

When you see a windshield with a lateral crack on the bottom, it was usually caused by someone turning on the defroster after the car had fully warmed up, on a frozen windshield, to thwart that, cars defrost fans run at low speed any time the ignition is on.

take a thin champagne glass out of the freezer and put it in some some hot water, tell me what it does..

That would be true. If you were to Pour warm water or even water with a certain temperature range on the windshield, it will crack. Your best bet would be to turn the heat on the mid setting at a cold-warm temperature (if it's really cold out), and wait untill you see that it is melting a bit. Once that happens, you can pour whatever you would like on your car. It's the same thing as if you were to put a glass in the freezer, then pour hot water in it. I use to work in a restaurant, and would be so busy that I would have to use glasses to hot to even touch, pour cold water on it to cool it down, and would sometimes even chatter.

I used to live in Northern Virginia, and we had very cold winters. My windshield was iced-over every morning, and I poured water on it every morning before leaving for work, and I never had a problem. Same for my roommates, no trouble with the water method.

I have heard of this, but I've never seen it happen. You just don't want to poor extremely hot water on a frozen windshield. They make stuff you can spray on your windows that is supposed to de-ice without any risk.

If your windshield is already cracked, chipped or somehow flawed it will, it'll do the same thing if you have the heater on with a cracked windshield. A scraper is much cheaper and easier. In South Dakota we have 2 in each car.

Never seen it happen, although I live in Georgia. Extreme temperature change can cause this though. Windshield glass that is already weak from a crack or chip could possibly do this.

I used to pour water on my windshield when it was icy. I never had it crack, but then I never used hot water. It was always lukewarm.

Yes, it's true if the water is too warm. Happened to my mother in law. There are de-icers that you can put on your windshield to help avoid over-icing.