sinai asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

My dog acts like a police dog?

I have a two yr old Golden Retriver, he's usually very sweet. I used play with him outside, by running in circles around my pool in the backyard. I make sure he ran beside me so he dosen't think I'm running away from him. I've stopped doing this because when we were running he would jump up and bite my jacket, like the police dogs do when they try to catch the criminal. He didn't do it really rough, but it was annoying. Does anyone else's dog do this? If so, do you know why?

Favorite Answer

Haven't you ever watched dogs play together? If one dog runs, the other dog chases it, and tackles it. It's how they play. He had no way of knowing you just wanted him to keep running, he thought he was chasing you all along!

I have a 3 yr old great dane and she does the same thing she thinks i am playing with her. And i have found if i yell at her and tell her no she does stop. He should grow out of it. He is still young.

my beagle does the same thing - she is 1 year old. she keeps on biting my shirt, or whatever it is she can reach which rips my clothes :( anyway, i noticed that she doesn't do this as often as before. when she do this, i usually scold her and tell her no/do not bite. i know that she understands me, it's just that she's too playful and wants to get my attention.

He's probably just playing. Best thing to do is stop dead where you are when he does it and tell him "no" with a firm voice. Then if he starts barking or doesnt listen put him on his back.

hes just playing.. might i suggest more exercise then running circles around your pool.. id bite you to if thats how you played with me LOL

• He is playing and by you reinforcing the bad behavior he now thinks it is fine to do that all the time.

Coach

He is just playing. I had a big rottweiler who would chase me and then nip at my butt and jacket. I thought it was kinda funny.

• aussie

It's the pack hunting instink kicking in

Try to hit him softly on the nose every time he does that.

call cesar milan (the dog whisperer guy)