Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusic · 1 decade ago

what is the difference between a fender squier strat and stratocaster? on one guitar is says strat and the?

other says stratocaster, i though they were the same...

so there's a

fender stratocaster - which is better

there's a fender squier stratocaster - which isn't as good

but why does it say on the guitar strat and ot stratocaster, they're just shorting it?

Favorite Answer

Squier is Fenders student line. They are built well enough for those just learning, but shouldn't be considered for anything but a first guitar.

Source(s): I build guitars for a living http://miragegworks.com/
  • Amber

It is the same difference as calling someone Tom rather than Thomas. Strat is just short for Stratocaster. Yes, there is a difference between Fender and Squier. All current Squier models are made in China or Indonesia as far as I know. Fenders are made in the US, Mexico and Japan. Fenders are a higher end models compared to Squier.

Squier is more of a smaller, beginner guitar. It's cheaper, and shows with the fret action and sound output. Get the fender strat.

Edit: OHH I didnt understand the question. The Stratocaster is the full name, and strat is what the write on the head. But still, get a Fender Strat.

Fender Squire Strats are made in Korea

Fender Stratocasters are made either in the US or Japan

The US model uses a better grade of wood and electronics

Squire is Fender's cheap guitar, they make strat models, that are simply made with cheaper materials etc. When buying a strat keep in mind that the best are american, it will say on the back of the head stock where it's made (mexico, japan US). I recommend reading up on these, because I saved +$600 by going with a Mexican, and it sounds BAD-A$$

Good Luck

and

Rock On!

Squier is the cheaper model of the Strat! Cheaper to build I should say the pick ups,tuners, hardware are not a good as the ones on a strat .

Squire strats are cheaper. Cheaper, less select wood for the body and neck. And mass-produced pickups and electronics. Nothing wrong with a squire though. You can get them to have great action, the the tone is versatile. A "real" just has the capability to produce a stronger tone, with better sustain. They will last longer and allow greater customizing.