cookyaustinchic asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

cat has major gross ouch.?

Ok my cat, Tiberius, had an absess behind his ear. He has had this problem before, and we took him to the vet and they said to let him take care of it on his own. He scratched it open that same night, and he took care of cleaning it with a little help from us, and was on antibiotics for a week. This time he had a golf ball sized swelling behind and under his ear. He has scratched it open, and I did the best i could with a medicine and dropper and a solution of betadine and water to cleanse the area and remove the pus. The problem is, he is still scratching at it, and he is too small for a collar. Should I bandage it in some way? Would that help or hurt the situation? I have him sleeping now, and am keeping him quarantined away from my other cats. Should I apply an ointment? I called my vet, and they were no help whatsoever. I just started new job, and they wont take payment plans. I love my cat very much, and would hate to lose him. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Blessed be.

Favorite Answer

Mary K has the right idea. Bandaging his owwie will only encourage the infection to grow more. Keep it open to the air so that the germs can be readily killed off. All germs that tend to cause abcesses are killed by exposure to air.

Find a new vet through your local pet shelters. They always have a list of vets who are willing to make payment arrangements.

You could try bandaging the foot that he is scratching with. They usually don't like anything on their feet, but it may help the wound heal even if he leaves it alone for short periods of time. I would also try cleaning it with something more mild than the betadine(betadine is great for the first cleaning) which can cause tissue irritation and can be uncomfortable for them. You can also use some triple antibiotic cream on the area and into the abscess if you can get in there.

Good luck.

Source(s): vet tech

I found at the food store in the pet area a product called Benadene Hot Spot Skin Remedy. It is actually for dogs but can be used on puppies so I figured it could be used for cats. It kills bacteria, used for cuts, scrapes, and abrasions. ****It also stops the itching.***** I have used it on my cat and she does fine with it. I have had to syringe feed her and her face is a little raw from all the cleaning I have to do after she eats. I don't see how you are going to be able to cover the sore since most cats don't like being wrapped in material. Probably just clean it twice daily and put the Benadene on it. You might call the humane society and see if they know of someone or a place you could get discounted antibiotics. They usually have an idea since they need all the breaks they can get themselves.

He might be scratching it because it's itchy because it's healing.

As the vet if there is an ointment to apply to the area that would not only protect put sooth it. I'm trying to think if there's something at our clinic that works (I'm not at work right now). Maybe your vet carries Novalsan ointment? It's an antibiotic ointment. It's a difficult area because they can't (yuck) lick the area as they would be able to if it were in other places. Bandaging probably would create more stress for him.

Source(s): veterinary assistant

Just remember if this is an abscess it must be kept open. If it scabs over pick the scab off and squeeze out the goop. Rinsing with novalsan will help to cleanse. It must dry out so do not bandage. It has got to be uncomfortable for the cat and it will be hard to keep him from scratching so just clip the back nails as short as the quick will let you and when he starts to scratch take his mind off of it by playing with him or rub the spot to help him feel better with out damage to the sore.

• Mary K

Put a warm compresses (such a washcloth with water as warm as you can stand it without burning your skin) on it to draw out any pus. Squeeze it gently to help it flow out into a cloth. Then put some Triple Antibiotic ointment on it, (can get at Walmart). The compresses will get the pus and infection out, the ointment will keep it from getting infected and also make it not itch. I would not bandage it, leaving it open will help it heal faster.

Use an antibiotic ointment on him, keep him sedated as much as possible and wrap his hind feet with cloth so he can't scratch it. I hope this helps

You need to get a new vet. If you are short on cash you might be able to get a payment plan with ASPCA vets.

i imagine he needs one of those lampshade hats to keep him from being able to scratch. it will drive him absolutely bonkers, too. Maybe instead, tie a small piece of cloth around his scratching paw to neutralize it. probably wouldn't work.

best wishes to both of you.

my hassie(hasselblad I think)....had the same prob....we have to let it heal its self...same spot as urs did.she wouldnt let us come near her for a week and we had to feed her babies...we even thought it was a wurbble(yknow the thing squirrels get ) YOU wont lose him...for some unknown reason like we get the pox/they get this lump....really,its painful,but ya gots ta let it run its course....its was gone in a week....she stilll ate her food...we think she got the lump from after she caught her first ground squirrel...we saw it bite her face THEN !!! we heard the bones crush under her teeth....

Source(s): again,,,we went thru this tiberius?? a trekie?