Do you think elderly drivers should have more restrictions placed upon them?

Do you think that older drivers should have more restrictions placed on their driving?

I'm a teen driver, and I am currently going through my state's GDL program. Right now I have a probationary license, that restricts the hours that I can drive and how many people I can have in the car. I had to go to drivers ed for 2 hours every day for a month, and take 6 behind-the-wheel lessons with an instructor. In my state, all that elderly people have to do is take a vision test and get a new photo, yet they are the second most dangerous group of drivers after teenagers.

Should elderly drivers be subject to more restrictions, or should I just stay away from farmer's markets?

• Favorite Answer

After age 60 they should have to take the drivers test every three years. Teenages should have to take it every year.

Coach

• Jojo

I have to say yes, there should be more restrictions. I am on the road quite a lot and I see all kinds of scary drivers, however, I have to tell you that the elderly ones are the most scariest.

Now, we shouldn't generalize because not evereyone ages the same and while someone at the age of 70 can still have all their marbles and reflexes, another person at the same age could be just the total oposit.

What I've noticed with the elderly is they most of the time refuse to give their licence up because it is the only thing that keeps them going. Once you take that away from them, they will useless. They don't realize that they are a public danger.

Not only should they pass an eye exam, they should actually have a driving test, with a medical report (reflexes, judgment, etc...)

Just to tell you, my father in law fell asleep at the wheel while TUNRING INTO HIS DRIVEWAY and not only did her go through his fence, he destroyed the neighbours shed and tree....He was 73 at the time

Now, just a piece of advice..... We all were at one point in time new drivers on the road and we were all anxious to drive and show off, however, while I do understand that, remember that every time you sit behind a wheel, your life is in potential danger. Take your time to get used to driving. And always be more aware of other drivers on the road.

They need a new written and driven test every 5 years after age 55. That is the only fair restriction. Some people drive fine at 80 and others are worse than drunk drivers.

• ?

Rough side! I don't agree, but when I was young I had the same sort of argument with punishing me for other's bad behavior. It transfers. So, if an elderly person is receiving tickets and causing accidents, we know they aren't such good drivers. If a person has neither, why is it fair to assume? Plenty of the middle aged can't drive, that's why police patrol. For everything else you need a list of your state's "restrictions." What, exactly, are you arguing against? Take that and pretend you're the one with the rules, counter the same way. Good luck.

oh my god, the elderly drive so badly. much of them anyways. but they are stubborn, and old, and they make the rules. they are the ones controling whether they get to drive or not. Their comes a time in ones life when they cannot see anymore, or hear very well either. I think more exams should be placed upon them. They should be re-tested yearly. and have to submit a physical. It's just not safe.

• Sam

I would tell you to just stay away from farmers markets. The elderly people know how to drive. Just let them drive the way they want and the cops will take care of it if they see something stupid go on with them. Good Luck!!!

I think you have a good point. The problem is that elderly people vote, and they don't like to have any special treatment that makes them feel second-class.

• doug b

they do need to be monitored closer but also the doctors that keep signing their medicals knowing they should not be driving