paanbahar asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

Why are we afraid to use the word Niger - including banning its correct spelling from books?

And yet we keep using the word "slave" as a noun and verb. After all, blacks should be much more offended by that word than the n-word, because slavery was much more heinous to their race than the supposed insult embedded in the n-word.

Should we also banish the word "Whitey" since it is exactly equal to the N-word?

See how silly we all can sound? And don't give me the crap about racial segregation---I did not cause it and I will be d--ned if I am going to apologize for others who are not even here to defend themselves. Let's start with the revered George Washington, who kept happy slaves.

Favorite Answer

we are afraid to use it because the black community cry racism when its used,which i totally dont get since they use it on themselves all the time

Actually, the n-word was used primarily in the context of slaves. You cannot separate the n-word with the horrible history toward those enslaved in America's infancy. Not to give you an English lesson, but slave is not a verb, the correct verb is to enslave. I know some people are going to be offended and ridicule you over this and, indeed, you do seem to lack knowledge of early American history. But what we all must do is take the high road and encourage you to educate yourself on racism so you do not fall into the same trappings of it. Calling you ignorant, or worse, won't help you or encourage you to understand why the n-word is so inappropriate. As for "whitey" or any other racially charged words, we must get rid of them in our language and attitudes toward each other. But we very well cannot do that if we quickly try to make people who are less informed (no offense, but you do need more information on this) out to be bigots or racists. I do not believe that you are a racist, but please take my invitation to read up on early American history and slavery. Educate yourself on the origin and use of the n-word, and you will quickly find why so many people, regardless of race, are offended by it. As for your comment on George Washington, well again read up on him. Some may have revered him, but many of his slaves feared him. You can't make up for the past or be held responsible for things you had no control over, but you are responsible for your actions and your language in the here and now. Mostly, you are responsible, as all of us are, to make sure that slavery and prejudice will go away! To begin that, we have educate and inform others just as we do ourselves!

um Niger is a country in Africa as well as the name of a river

the word you are actually referring to has a history behind it you clearly are unaware of. Whitey is nowhere near the equal of the n-word. Your ignorance is astonishing.

you must not know any black people and if you do you should ask them this question. There is no way you will be informed the way you should be via this medium.

No one is banning the use of the word "Niger," which is the name of a country. It is pronounced "nee-ZHER."

However, the use of the inflammatory and patently racist "n-word" should be banned, just like other intentionally hurtful words. Tell me where you saw that heinous w-word in any textbook. You didn't.

You didn't cause racial segregation, but with your thoughts and actions, you certainly seem to be doing all you can to promote it. Shame on you.

• Cal

In the dictionary, the work ****** is defined as something dirty and distasteful. It's an insult to the blacks. But only if it's used by whites. And you are right, it is silly to remove it from the language.

Just don't use it in a derogatory manner.

• KathyS

The "N" word is a derogatory insult. The word slave does not just refer to black slaves. There have been many slaves in history.

I applaud your attention to words. But I don't know any slave that was happy. They would not be slaves. Off course, I never actually knew a slave. But I doubt you do either.

The word itself is racist. Why do blacks say that word? Im thinking when they say it to eachother it isnt ment in a negative or degraded way but more as a "who you are" or "brother" kind of word.

I am tired of all this talk..the words should not be used..

and I am black...love is powerful and thats something we all should be doing to each...loving each other....

• Plum

Niger is a perfectly lovely country - what problem do you have with its name?