A question for you profesionals out there...?

Do you all take all your pictures in manual mode or do you just use portrait and landscape and indoors modes etc that the camera came with?

I don't want to take pics in the wrong mode, ya know?

Favorite Answer

Use the presets then and practice with manual another day.

I'm still a novice, but in my photography class the teach told us that the specific modes are just settings that can be obtained by using the manual mode. For instance, a fireworks mode is set for a long exposure to capture the streaming light of exploding fireworks. Many cameras actually show the exposure, f-stop, etc. of the special mode you have selected. The auto mode on your camera attempts to guess what you are shooting (portrait, nightime scene, underwater) and adapt to the conditions accordingly. After some use of your camera, you may find that your portrait mode uses that flash so that the subject is illuminated, but the background is dark and underexposed. To counter this you can note the settings and then move into manual mode, increase the exposure to capture more light from the background, and turn the flash off so the subject is not overexposed. With experience and experimentation, manual settings might achieved the desired result better than the preset ones. You may find that the many pre-set modes of your camera are great for their purpose.

I always use manual mode when shooting professionally/creatively. Over the years, I have learned what I want out of a shot, and in-camera metering doesn't always agree with me. However, if I am just taking snapshots, I will sometimes use the preset modes. Manual exposure allows much more creative freedom. Automatic modes are good for grabbing quick shots.

My best advice would be to set up some tests. Find a stationary subject that won't have any lighting changes, and shoot the same shot over and over, trying different shutter/aperture combinations and trying over/under-exposing. Do this often, in as many possible lighting situations as you can, and learn what you can/can't do with exposure.

First of all, I'm still using film. But, that doesn't make a difference since there are film cameras with "landscape," "sport," "day light portrait," and "night time portrait;"sports," etc., modes. Some professionals prefer to use manual modes on their cameras for greater control but others rely on Program (full automatic) Mode. It really depends on the individual. Some of the cameras used can be overridden although they're on "automatic" mode.

I have two cameras for everyday walking about (Nikon N80) and two Nikon F5 that I use for formal shoots (weddings and graduations) which I use on auto-focus now that my eyes have aged (and so have I). I use Aperture priority while doing portraits so that I can blur out the background, others prefer to use Shutter Priority.

Your best bet is to fully understand what each mode is for and what the limitations are. Once you have that, you're pretty much in the clear. Best wishes.

"Some Chick" hit on it - manual focus really allows for you to be more creative. I am not a professional and I almost exclusively shoot on manual. I never use the "modes", but I do occasionally use the aperture or shutter priority depending on what the subject is (e.g., sports, because you usually don't have time to mess with checking the light meter etc.). To use the manual setting, though, you really need to understand your camera controls and how they affect the outcome of your photos (remember, the light meter is just a tool and not the end-all to the appropriate exposure). Practice, and keep a log of your settings for each exposure. Then compare your results with what you were trying to achieve.

Source(s): Just my novice advice from taking several bad (and some good) photographs.

There is no "wrong mode." It all has to do with what you're shooting for and what you're comfortable with. In the end, you just want a picture you like to look at, right?

It takes practice -- and a lot of really ugly photos -- to get a handle on manual exposure. I would argue, though, that it's well worth the effort for the creative flexibility you'll discover.

But remember: You can achieve technical perfection and still shoot boring pictures. Photography is about capturing the world as you, and you alone, choose to see it. As your technical skill improves, your pictures will improve, too; but you have to have the vision first.

First of all, all of the presets on the camera are there for people that don't know the difference between a portrait / landscape or they don't know how to properly expose something indoors / outdoors / bright sun / snow. My advice to you is to learn everything you can about how apertures affect the depth of field and what are necessary ISO and Shutter speeds to properly expose your picture without any blurring or unwanted pixalization.

I personally only use two modes on my camera: Aperture Priority or Shutter Priority. They allow you to select what you want out of a photograph. I you want a really Wide depth of Field; you can close your Aperture as low as possibly and it will automatically adjust your shutter speed to properly expose the photo. If I want to shoot an object that is moving really fast, I will bump my shutter speed as fast as possibly and it will adjust my aperture to properly expose the photo.

If you have a nice camera that has an Aperture Priority and a Shutter Priority mode, stick with those two and learn the importance of depth of field and what aperture settings give you those effects and experiment with different exposures in different light settings until you are comfortable with your camera and the lenses you use.

If you are really serious about photography, digital or not, you need to know the basics of photography. Take a black and white film course and learn to expose and develop in a film process. Once learning all of the basics to photography and knowing how the process was developed, you will know how to use any digital camera on the market; and know how to push your exposures and depth of field to turn a quickly snapped photograph into a piece of art.

I do both. Manual is good if you like to have a handle on what you are photgraphing. The presets are good too, because you can trust them:)

Although I am not a professional

Thats what I do.