Chris K asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

What's wrong with addiction?

Seriously. We have shows like "Intervention" which attempts to compel addicts of anything from shopping to overeating to numerous drugs to stop immediately. Whenever a question is asked of drugs on this website, most responses are to the effect of: "It's dangerous and addictive" when the drugs are not dangerous in doses that will get you "high" or at least out of pain?

Take me for example. I have a spinal disorder that causes much pain, but due to my age doctors adamantly refuse to prescribe me the appropriate painkillers (oxycodone works best for me) because they don't want me to get addicted. More likely they are afraid of the DEA and zero-tolerance regulatory boards, and hence refuse to adequately treat me. In addition I have social anxiety, which is "treated" with therapy and an SSRI, Paxil, which is infinitely more addictive than opiates.

So I have taken to self medicating with black market oxycodone, and it relieves the pain AND my social anxiety symptoms.

(continued)

So, if you were me, would you rather be addicted to opiates, out of pain, and able to interact with society in a healthy, anxiety-free manner (like I choose), or would you rather be chemically pure, an isolated shut in who has crazy, antisocial thoughts and in severe pain all the time?

It seems addiction is the best choice, for myself and society.

On another note, why is it that opiates cannot be prescribed to me for my psychological symptoms? It works FAR better than those silly anti-depressants. I'm actually happy, extroverted and able to function normally in society. But I'm tired of doing illegal things to be that way. Yet society refuses to let me be that happy, confident person since I might get addicted.

Why punish me for trying my best to be a better person?

Also, if you know any doctors in the Northern Nevada/Northern California area who WOULD adequately treat me with opioid therapy, please let me know. My age is a handicap in that regard, I am 20.

Please help!

Paxil is indeed addictive. Most of you have probably never taken it for long, if at all. Just google "paxil zaps" and you'll see that that nasty stuff has far worse withdrawal symptoms than opiates. If I miss a dose by a few hours, I will feel like I'm going crazy. The "zaps" are small seizures in the brain. I'd rather have the flu (opioid withdrawal analogy) than go insane. It's not a comfortable feeling.

Favorite Answer

Hello, I've never seen a show such as "Intervention", though I do know what an intervention is. There is nothing particularly "wrong" with being addicted to a medication if you NEED the medication to improve your condition or quality of life. The problem comes in when you get addicted to a drug and cannot get it, then you risk the consequenses of withdrawl which can sometimes be very serious and life threatening.

My personal feelings about doctors who refuse to treat a patient's pain for fear of addiction should have to suffer similar pain themselves without benefit of relief.

Your statement that Paxil is infinitely more addictive than opiates is just your opinion and not a medical fact.

The danger of self medicating with oxycodone from the black market is that you may find yourself increasing the dose, increasing your addiction and some day not be able to get it? But also, most forms of oxycodone have other ingredients like tylenol which is toxic to your liver- so you cannot safely continue to increase the dose and not damage your liver.

There are some doctors out there who are willing to treat patients for pain. Tell your doctor up front you expect your pain to be managed and if he/she will not help you, you are going to take the medication on your own. It would be best to take narcotic pain medications under the supervision of a doctor because of the damage that can be done to your vital organs by taking them on your own.

Good luck!

yes Virginia addiction is a problem, justifying excess use of opiates because of pain or perceptions of pain is addiction. Going outside the bounds of legal channels to get the drugs is a sure sign your hooked and couldn't quite to save your a*s.. Playing doctor yourself is the other sign you've got a problem.

Is your pain real, in your mind it is very real, opiates play tricks on the body.. develop a pain, take a pill, drop the pill the pain re-occurs, this is because neuro-transmission in your pain receptors have opened up channels blocked by opiates, the problem with opiates the more you take it the more these channels become available, and the pain eventually cannot be managed with the chemicals.

There are other methods of dealing with pain but 1st you need to be free of the addictive qualities of the drugs.

I know because I've been there. My first opiate was percodan (with alcohol.) It numbed the pain it was supposed to and eventually the script was done and I needed something else to mask the pain. Booze became the alternative.. It provided pain relief for 13 yrs.

Contact NA/AA and get some help, go to treatment for the addiction and the Tx center can help you find resources to manage the pain without the drug.

Addictions are only a problem when they interfere with you living your life how you wish to live them. You're dependant and you need it, it isn't leisurely. That's why they're addictions and not just fun passtimes. There's a difference between healing yourself to function to maximum capacity and heathenous hedonism. One must ask, Why did you ask this question to begin with? Is it a real inquiry or are you simply trying to justify your wrongdoings by having people supporting your unfortunate decisions. The addiction usually gives you all kinds of reasons to change things, it uses the utmost places of your brain, your own self against you, you'll never be able to outreason it yourself, you'd only be able to stop to see you don't need them. Other than that, have of you, the real you that reasons consciously, will always feel like it needs to have it. You can beat it.

Black market my ****. Prescription fraud is what it's called and it's a felony. Yes, they probably are worried about the DEA. But SSRIs, Paxil are NOT addictive in any way, shape or form. That's just silly. You will get caught. You really will, then you will have another problem in addition to your spine.

Source(s): drug researcher/10 years in law enforcement

Chris - today - we have to do what we have to do. When we see a doctor and pay the bill, we are paying his salery and for his services. He is therefore obligated to treat us properly and with respect. The fact that some board somewhere says he can't treat patients with painkillers should not stop him in the least if they are justified. If he can justify the amount you need, then he can give you the prescription.

You need to get a better doctor. Try a pain clinic where your pain can be adequately managed. There are some physicians who are acutely aware of what a problem this kind of thing can be. Search one of them out.

"we are addicted to water, oxygen, nitrogen, sodium, and maximum of alternative issues in existence that if we stopped protecting our addictions to we would die very without postpone." no longer authentic in any respect. habit does no longer comprise issues which out physique relies upon upon. Being addicted to respiratory does not make any further experience then being addicted to heart beats. on your authentic question, the priority with addictions (in case you're eliminating all actual and social ramifications) would be the psychological ramifications. human beings exchange into addicted to issues as a coping mechanism. working example: Alcoholics and drug addicts use the effects of drugs to distract their brains from handling unsightly issues in existence. playing addicts usually use the adrenaline rushes from the even of playing to alleviate rigidity and to distract from existence exterior the on line casino/music. This inhibits the potential to enhance healthful coping mechanisms. Addictions are issues that intervene with each and every day existence socially, economically, emotionally, and mentally. i've got been addicted to my workstation to the element the place if i did no longer have get entry to to the workstation/information superhighway I felt agitated and under pressure. that style of dependency is truthfully risky. i've got found out to no longer desire consistent psychological over-stimulation. in case you're conversing a pair of drug, i will't think of of any that don't have some variety of area result. each and every thing has a factor result, fairly if taken in great quantities and/or for long sessions of time. utilising something "responsibly" does no longer comprise habit because of the fact duty would mean lifelike. quite utilising something potential no longer in keeping with it. in case you're searching for a thank you to rationalize using a drug or something you're merely proving you're no longer being lifelike. You look to could practice no longer purely to whoever is criticizing you yet in addition your self. in case you're able to justify it to your self... you in all hazard doubt your man or woman argument. P.S. Oxycontin is bodily addicting. It differences your bodies potential to handle soreness and the concept of soreness. i've got wide-unfold somebody that fluctuate into addicted to it, which potential she had a existence-long prescription. without it she exchange into in extreme actual soreness for no reason different then her bodies lack of ability to deal with itself. do no longer trivialize painkiller or the long-term effects of any substance