What if Michael Richards had said f.ag or q.ueer?

Suppose he'd instead been heckled by some flamingly obvious gay guy. Would there have been as huge a blow-up about it? Although both gay and black people use epithets among themselves to take the power out of those words, I get a sense that a white guy calling a black guy the N word would have a far greater reaction than a straight guy calling a gay guy the Q or F word.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Nobody would have cared....we never would have heard about it.

there should not be a competition between who is most persecuted. It is plain wrong to use the N word and in the context he did, which was hateful and violent. Don't forget, he also made threats. The sad part is, he has yet to own up to the truth---that he is racist. Otherwise, he couldn't have spewed this out so easily. The first step towards redemption is telling yourself the truth. i feel sorry for the guy.

You are 100% right. But people have a choice on wether they will be gay or not.Even if you were born gay, you still have the choice of acting on it or not. Black people have no choice, this is the skin that they have been given. It's unfair to bash a race the way he did. It's one thing to have a few jokes, even some that are off color, but to come out with the hate that he was putting out there is wrong. BIG THING HERE....doing something like this can save an actors career. Scandal is the best way to get your name back in the stream of Hollywood.

Maybe he shouldnt have said it.On the other hand the "gentlemen" in question should have a little consideration for him trying to do his job.Im offended that these guys are trying to EXTORT money out of Richardson for a little word.I guess Freedom of Speech is a thing of the past now.Sure it was wrong! But its also wrong for that EXTORTIONIST and LIAR JESSE JACKSON to call for a boycott of the Seinfeld DVD's also.Oh yeah,by the way.Theres no such thing as Hate Speech either!!!

Source(s): COMMON SENSE

I find all those words insulting. Lets say you were Irish & English (I am both) I would find the words mic or limey insulting, although nobodys ever targeted me for being English & Irish, people who are gay or black get targeted all the time, it's really not right

Sorry, I'm not comfortable with any of those words. What he said was wrong, not sure why no one seems to get that. Sense when does two wrongs make a right. He was out of line, period.

I think it is funny when comedians make fun of everyone. I love gay jokes even the crude ones. I laugh when people make fun of gay people. It is funny. If you can' laugh at yourself then what the hell are you living for?

I can't speak for others, but I would have found those words equally offensive. Unasinous is the word, I think. Showing equal stupidity and asininity.

• sarah

i think what micheal richards said was hateful. i also think it was a slip of the tongue. i don't believe he actually meant it. at least i hope he did'nt. i think him, like all of us, say things we don't mean when we get mad. but i think people would be just as mad if he had said the bad gay word. just like rosie o donnell got mad just at the insinuation that kelly ripa had said something possibly anti homosexual.

I still wouldn't care about such an unimportant and sensationalist media news hype story.

Unfortunately I think you're right. There wouldn't have been such a big blow out.