My 6 year old is diabetic can he wrestle? I say no but his dad says yes.?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

What does his doctor say? He has the true answer.

• BAR
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

As with any physical activity the answer is yes w/ caution. Physical exercise is always great however you need to watch it, before the activity his blood sugar should be checked and depending on what the reading is (as what the dr. recomends ) he will need a snack with carb and protein. Then after it would be a good idea to recheck his sugar. There should always be some fast acting carb source at hand and the adult in charge at the time needs to be fully aware of what to do if his sugar is low.

• 1 decade ago

yes. However there are several considerations to think about.

First off is his blood glucose level is affected by exercise. If he is going to wrestle that will use additional carbs and glucose which will lower his need for insulin to bring down the blood sugar. Also because it does use more carbs and glucose he may need additional snacks or meals to boost his blood glucose level. If he should begin to wrestle the coach should be alerted to the fact and shoul provide him with infomation on diabetes, the signs and symptoms of hypoglycemia (low blood glucose), hyperglycemia (high blood glucose), the coach should also be taught how to take his blood glucose and how to administer insulin if needed. Even if your child knows how to do this it is good to have an adult who knows how as well. Also refesh your son's memory on how he will feel if his blood glucose goes to high/low. You will need to monitor his blood glucose level more frequently when he begins this additional activity to attain a pattern of how it affects his blood glucose and how to alter his meals/snacks/insulin. Make sure he always has a form of sugar with him (or with the coach in the case he can't resist eating it when he doesn't need it) in the case his blood sugar drops to low. Diabetes are perfectly capable of leading a normal life they just have to take a few special steps to make their lives normal. Good Luck!

Source(s): I am a PSN
  • 1 decade ago

diabetics need exercise and wrestling promotes exercise. Check with the doctor for sure, but I have never heard a doctor say no wrestling for diabetics.

Source(s): RN
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

He sure can.

He will likely need to test his BG more frequently and adjust insulin and food accordingly. (If he uses a pump, you might want to consider using Lantus instead of a basal since he will need to disconnect to wrestle.)

There are good sites for diabetic athletes and children out there: http://kids.jdrf.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.vie... has some great stories and advice.

Diabetes forums like the Joslin discussion board http://www.joslin.org/1863.asp are another great place to hear how other diabetic kids and parents manage exercise and diabetes.

• 1 decade ago

yes, diabetics need exercise it will actually help them manage their blood sugar better. BUT if he has the insulin pump, make sure he unhooks it before he wrestles or does anything that involves physical contact (wrestling, football, ect.)

• 1 decade ago

A lot depends on your son's physical condition, how bad is his diabetes? Most diabetics today are living normal, active lives as long as their diabetes is kept under control through diet and medication. Your doctor is the best one to advise you and your husband regarding your sons capabilities, check with him/her to make sure everything is okay before you make any decisions. You don't want to mess with his health, but, he needs to live as normal a life as possible.

• Cammie
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

People, yes even kids, can do anything. Exercises is great.My daughter with diabetes is a black belt in karate.

Don't let diabetes stop him from doing whatever he wants to do.

• Tulip
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Unless his doctor has limited his activity he can wrestle. The little guys that age don't get that heavy into it anyway.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

6?? That is way too young to be "wrestling" anyway....diabetes or not. No, he shouldn't. It would REALLY screw with his blood sugar. He'd have to change his entire way of eating and wrestlers have to stay in a certain weight class so he might need to eat more or less carbs. You know what can happen then.

Source(s): I do FDA research
  • 1 decade ago

If he's taking his meds & his sugar is under control, he can do most things other children can, including wrestling.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.