What would cause my computer to do a memory dump?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Well it depends on what your asking to do a memory dump or what whould cause a memory dump..

1) to do one, you can set your computer up under admin tools, to preform it.. but you need to know what your doing and what your changing within to do it.... you would set it to clear your page file everytime you shut down.

2) if your asking why it would do it.. either it has been set up to do it or the computer memory gets full, eg: page file gets full and there is no memory left use ram or pagefile. so the computer would do a memory dump. If this happens you would see an alert in event viewer under system saying that that the memory was dumped or you might get something saying that memory was not freed when ???? loged off..

Before you go doing it your self. i would suggest you do some research to better get an idea of what your asking or what your wanting so you personally understand what you will be looking at.

http://support.microsoft.com/ do a search there with "memory dump"

best of luck!

Jon Ellender Sr. Tech.

Texas Tech Services

visit us on the web @

http://texastech.mycv.bz/

• 1 decade ago

Memory dump eemmm, do you mean the blue screen of death?

If so could be one of many things, but most likely either Graphics driver Or sound driver.

The trouble with game drivers they normally and the such like, stamp all over xp's drivers a bit sad but that is xp for you.

If no blue screen of death then we need a bit more info to help.

Good luck.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

adding new software or hardware can cause a memory dump...almost as bad as the blue screen of death...it gives you a countdown that takes forever as you sit there thinking "WTF???"....right? Just remove the new software/hardware, that should fix the problem...some programs/hardware dont get along due to driver conflicts and such.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

too much memory chili? that always does it for me.

whew, better light a match.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

uh... for one, probably a laxative so it can lose some weight....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.