How do I remove mildew odor from artificial Xmas tree stored in garage in south Florida.?

I now live in AZ. I have tried leaving it out in the sun, Lysol, Febreze, dilute bleach, and a carwash.

Favorite Answer

I would try using DampRid's Mold & Mildew Remover and Protector. It will kill the mildew spores which will stop the odor and then it will protect the tree from future mildew growth when you store it again. It may take a couple of applications because you will really need to apply it everywhere and it may be difficult to get into the center of the tree. You could also place it in a large trash bag with activated charcoal for a few days to absorb the odor, but unfortunately that won't kill the mildew spores. You can find the DampRid in the cleaning aisle at Lowes.

Source(s): Worked on my little tree that got wet in a garage flood and became mildewy
  • mom*2

My solution to ANY odor problem, big or small, is vanilla extract. soak some cotton balls in vanilla extract place on the branches then wrap the tree in some plastic. leave it like this for a day or so. Vanilla is a natural odor absober. You can even do this when you pack up the tree for next year, just leave the cotton balls until next xmas.

Good luck & Happy holidays! Hope this helped!

Get yourself a good air purification such as the ones ecoquest has. It will not only help your tree but will clean and purify the air inside your home.

Liza Jane, I'm afraid I would throw it out. It seems like no matter what you do the smell just wants to linger. The new ones out there are pretty reasonable price wise.

Try to frebreeze the tree and put it outside to get some fresh air for a while. If that does'nt work. Get a new one.

fake. I hate the pine needles. Plus final 3 hundred and sixty 5 days ours tipped over like 5 instances and we've been like ,"f*ck this." then threw it exterior. next Saturday. i don't recognize why we are, none persons are turning out to be to be presents so what's the factor?

Throw it out and get a new one, they dont cost to much money, pluse they get better looking each year..