Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

How can I make a boxed chocolate cake mix taste less like cardboard and more like chocolatey deliciousness?

Favorite Answer

You can add a little more oil and an extra egg. Takes 5-10 minutes longer to cook, but will come out nice an moist.

Cake Mix Buttermilk Chocolate Cake

Duncan Hines or plain store brand chocolate cake mix (NOT with pudding)

1 tablespoon cocoa (NOT hot chocolate mix)

1 1/3 cups buttermilk

1/2 cup oil

1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract

3 eggs

Beat together per pkg directions. Pour into greased 9 x 13 cake pan. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes until cake tests done.

Frost with your favorite home made frosting - there is no substitute for a good home made frosting.

(you can use Saco brand dehydrated buttermilk in this recipe)

Source(s): I've made this cake or other flavor variations for years.

Add 16 oz sour cream (i know that sounds wierd but it is great),1 large box of chocolate instant pudding mix, and 1/2 cup milk along with the regular oil and eggs called for on the box. Bake a little longer...about 55-60 minutes for a bundt cake pan, a little less for 9x13

I always do this and get rave reviews on my cakes. People don't believe me when I say it is from a box mix.

Add 1 small box of jello instant pudding (chocolate) and 1/4 cup milk to your cake mix.

I always add 1t of vanilla flavoring to all my cake mixes except lemon then I use 1/2t lemon flavoring.to make your icing taste more homemade take it out of the can into a bowl add 1/2 t vanilla or other flavoring and whip with an mixer for about a min. I also add flavoring to my pudding mixes try it you will notice a better flavor hope this helps.

use a brand name cake mix, I use pillsbury, Betty Crocker, Duncan Hines. Stay clear of those cheap brands, there NASTY, also look to see if they pudding in the mix, these cakes are so moist, & choclately too. Same with the frosting, stick with name brands ONLY.

Source(s): thats the only cakes mixes, & frostins I ever use is name brands

Add chocolate chips or a box of chocolate pudding. If you use the pudding, you will need to increase the oil or butter used for consistency.

Add a box of chocolate pudding to the batter before baking.

Leave the box out of the recipe.

• mickey

add a softened hersheys chocolate bar to the batter. a little crem cheese will also add a lot of richness