Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsReptiles · 1 decade ago

Is my Hermit Crab Dead?

I'v had my hermit crab for more then a year and yesterday he wasent moving much an now he looks like hes dead? I moved him to another cage because I thought my other hermit crabs might eat him or soemthing. He hasent been digging in the sand our anything. Hes just half out of his shell. I saw one movement on his leg today. Is he shedding our something? What should I do?

Best Answer

USe him for bait to catch a Grouper

• Betty

Never assume a hermit crab is dead until he starts producing a fishy smell. Personally I would not label his condition as good, but hermit crabs can surprise anyone. The recommendation of 80% humidity is an excellent one. I even recommend that for your regular cage. provide water and food nearby. Other than that it is best to leave this one alone and let nature take its course, which ever way it will be.

To answer the question of hermit crab life span, the estimate is 30 years. Few live that long in captivity.

OK, I am a newbie at hermit crabs but listen, it may be sick,molting,or dieing. You did good separating it from the others. Now, make sure that it has food and water, the humidity is above 65% and temperature above 70%, put it in a DARK place. They like the dark, try a closet. Have you been spraying anything on it? Is the water dechlorinated? If it isn't then it could get blisters on its gills and suffocate to death. Make sure it has no mite or anything on it. Go to the website below for VERY good help. It has EVERYTHING.

Sounds like he may be molting. I had a hermit crab molt topside and survive. Just make sure you keep the humidity up to 80% and the temp in the 80's. You can offer him some honey, that seems to give them a bit of an enrgy boost. I hope he's ok and pulls through for you

Source(s): hermit crab owner

Hermit crabs do that sometimes, if he moves a leg he is still alive. does he or she have enough water? do you mist the tank. I have had hermits before i noticed that sometimes they are active at night when it is dark and quiet. What is the life expectency for a hermit crab.

• Lynne

i used to have hermit crabs and both of them fell out of their shells when they died...it isnt safe to house them all together because they can be very territorial- which may be why he is missing legs. if you hold him just by the shell (holding them in your hand can be dangerous- even the most even tempered crabs clamp fromtime to time) and spritz a little watter on him, he should react by either retracting or coming out of his shell to see what all the commotion is about. if you dont get a rise out of him he might be dead. also, smooth out his sand at night and check for tracks on the morning for a few days to a week. good luck :)

Keep and eye on him/her but do not touch him/her. When you did move him/her did he/she have a fishy smell. They only smell fishy for about 3 days. Also you could try (without picking him/her up) to put a piece of paper in his/her claw. If he/she pinches the paper he/she is still alive. If you have not movement then I hate to say it but he/she is dead. I hope he/she is still alive. Good luck.

PS: If you only have one left please get him/her a friend. Never only keep one as a pet then need friends.

Source(s): Mom to 44 hermies for almost 3 years!!!

He might be molting and if he is you don't want to touch him. They molt about every 18 months. When crabs are sick they leave there shells.

Source(s): http://www.hermit-crabs.com and a Crab owner

It doesn't sound like he's in very good shape. He may not be dead yet, but he sounds pretty close. They'll usually hide when they molt. Sorry to hear it.

he is dead anytime you move a hermit crab from its enviroment 60%of the crabs die.

if the hermit crabis out of the shell it is dead

Source(s): 96