Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetInternet · 1 decade ago

gmail?!?!?

Can I create folders on Gmail to seperate my mail?????? If so can u tell me how?

Favorite Answer

In Gmail folders are called labels.

From the Gmail Help:

How do I use labels?

Labels do all the work of folders and give you an extra bonus: you can add more than one to a conversation. Once you've created a label, you can view all the messages with that label by searching, or by clicking the label name along the left side of any Gmail page.

You can easily create, edit, and delete existing labels. Here's how

To create a label:

1. Select the message(s) you'd like to label by checking the box(es) next to the sender's name.

2. Select New label from the More Actions... drop-down menu.

3. Enter the name of the new label in the text box, and click OK.

The selected messages will automatically be categorized under the new label.

To edit a label:

1. Log in to your Gmail account.

2. Click Edit labels at the bottom of the Labels box.

3. Click rename next to the label you want to edit.

4. Enter the new label name, and click OK.

All the messages categorized under your old label name will now be categorized under your new label.

To delete a label:

1. Log in to your Gmail account.

3. Click remove label next to the label you want to delete.

4. Confirm that you'd like to remove the label by clicking OK.

* Removing a label doesn't delete the messages previously categorized with that label.

After labeling a message or conversation, you can remove it from your inbox by archiving it. Then, you can view archived messages by clicking All Mail, or by clicking the label name along the left side of any Gmail page.

More help here http://mail.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=...

and here http://mail.google.com/support/?ctx=%67mail&hl=en

In Gmail, you can't create new folders. Instead you create labels, which you then attach to individual conversations. The good thing about labels is that multiple labels can be tagged on a mail, something just not possible with the folder concept of Hotmail and others. The labels are shown at the left side; attach them by using the combo box on top. You can also create filters to automatically label incoming mail.

Yes Of course, you can create folders which is in the form of labels. Customize all those accordingly as per your specification. Today Gmail is proving best features to their users. This is one of them I liked the most as I've customized my important emails accordingly.

No. Gmail uses labels instead of folders.

I prefer folders, as well, but gmail promotes their labels as being better. Whatever.