Question Canadian Revenue Agency/Internal Revenue Service?

I have a friend who is Canadian who recently married an American woman who is disabled receiving a small pension from Social Security. When they decided to make a life together, it was established that the Canadian has stronger family ties than the American does, and she moved to Canada. Also, American's pension isn't taxable because of the small amount.

Here's the following questions:

1) When tax time comes, should each file separately in their own countries? (Married filing separately)

2) If Canadian decides to file American as his dependent, does American still have to file in the US, and declare his income in the US, although he has never worked or lived in the US nor she in Canada?

3) If she no longer lives in the US, is she still required to file her taxes with the IRS every year whether or not she receives her SSDI?

Basically they want to prevent breaking the law, but they obviously don't want to have to pay twice, or pay on income that w

(The last sentence was incomplete)

Basically they want to prevent breaking the law, but they obviously don't want to have to pay twice, or pay on income that wasn't earned in each other's countries.

Favorite Answer

Wow Awesome question. Can't help you, but can direct you to Revenue Canada's website. There you'll find all the answers I'm sure your friends need.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/menu-e.html

Lot's of luck to them, but I doubt it'll be as complicated as it sounds.

I positioned this on my watchlist to confirm what responses you get. i ought to favor to entice close too. i'm Canadian and married to an American. i will nonetheless record my tax go back in Canada although that i have not worked this year, i will nonetheless get my GST cheques and different reward. i will't record contained in the U. S. because i'm not legal to paintings there yet. even although that i'm curious if my husband will declare me as a depending.