True Cajun Gumbo?

Can anyone please explain to me why it is that people keep mentioning tomatoes in gumbo. A true gumbo is brown not red! I get so sick and tired of seeing people putting it in thier recipes. Tomatoes makes it a stew not gumbo. I was born and raised in Louisiana. I still live here. I have NEVER ever seen anyone put tomatoes in thier gumbo. So can someone please explain to me why it is that people think tomatoes go in it? Well really not just tomatoes. I've heard on several cooking shows they say anything and everything goes in the pot to make a gumbo. NO PEOPLE IT DOESN'T! Basically I'm just curious as to where this myth started and why?

• Dave C
    Favorite Answer

I think it's because Cajun and Creole cooking have become popular across the country and you have chefs and restaurants trying to cash in on the craze by making their version of stew and calling it "Gumbo".

It's like the crawfish craze. Crawfish used to be very inexpensive in Louisiana until it became popular. A lot of it goes to Texas where they like the crawfish a lot bigger like miniature lobsters, while in Louisiana the traditional crawfish is much smaller. It's just another example of how another location will take something traditional and put their own spin on it to cash in on the craze.

They would probably put the tomatoes in a gumbo when they put okra in also.The true sign of good Gumbo is a rich brown roux.I have eaten Gumbo with tomatoes in it, and it had okra,too.My favorite is Seafood Gumbo with shrimp,crab,and Richards crazy Cajun sausage in it---I miss that sausage sooo much.(you anywhere close to Vinton?)When you eat Gumbo again, think of someone that sure misses it---Donna.

I have always fixed my seafood gumbo with tomatos

In fact I put tomatos in my chicken and sausage gumbo

• levar

people make Gumbo to in good structure themselves from seafood to sausage and fowl even rabbit . next week im gonna make a gator and turtle gumbo the major ingredient is the roux and the Trinity after that make it how u like.

Texans.... They'll do anything.

http://www.texasgulfcoastfishing.com/red_gumbo.htm

I found this reference to a gumbo-like-preparation that contains tomato.

I think I'll let y'all be the judge, heah!

Best wishes!

they use it in Creole Cooking...New Orleans from what I have heard! Don't use tomatoes in my gumbo either...

Source(s): raised in Louisiana also! Geaux Tigers!