Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 decade ago

How do I fix the temperature control in my apartment?

Ok I have a problem. My landlord is pissing me off with the heat situation. My rent includes heats (electric).....and at first the heat wasnt turned on when it started getting cold..and then finally they turned on the heat but its BLAZING it litarally feels like a hot summer day in here (80-90 degrees in here) im sweating bullets and i dont have control over the heat. the circle temperature control thing is down to zero but i cant turn off the heat...how do i fix this?!

Favorite Answer

The heat was probably off for the season (when it was cold).

Now that its on, it sounds like your thermostat is broken.

Remember getting upset won't help to get this fixed.. so you need to talk to the landlord and mention that you believe the thermostat is broken, and that there is more heat than you need is coming into the apartment. Remind him/her how expensive the heat costs are.

Note this may take a day/two to fix. In the meantime, turn on some fans, or simply open a window (just a crack - periodically) you don't want to LOOSE all your heat. You just want to dissipate the EXCESS heat.

Remember - complaining and demanding makes things gets fixed SLOWER. Being nice, and asking nicely. Giving people time to buy the parts... tends to get things fixed right away. (Life lesson).

• You can purchase a thermostat at Walmart for almost nothing and it comes with instructions. After that, if it doesn't work then by all means open a window. If they pay your electric get a thermostatically controlled air conditioner for the window and that would keep you on a more even keel.

My guess is your thermostat is more for show than for temperature adjustment. It might need to be replaced.

Contact your landlord. They might not be aware of the situation.

sounds like my mother in laws apt...since they control the heat open a window..

• GRUMPY

REPLACE the thermostat.