Chula
Chula asked in Education & ReferenceQuotations · 1 decade ago

How do you interpret this Mark Twain quote?

Humans have a moral sense, they believe they know right from wrong, therefore they do right from wrong.

Just interested in what people think about it, if anything........

It is deep. His next sentance is that animals do not know right from wrong and therefore are not able to do wrong.

Favorite Answer

To me this does not have a lot of meaning but I will give it a whack.

This quote seems to mean that we are able to tell the difference between right and wrong, and because we have that ability we choose to do right instead of wrong. In the context of animals that brings out a very deep meaning. Animals do not have that moral sense therefore they do not choose, so we are more moral and civilized creatures. In a sense he is saying that is what separates us from the animals are our morals.

• RS

Hmm .. is there a context here? Without a context, I would think that there is some sort of wordplay involved here. Knowing a little bit of Mark's style, I would be highly surprised if there is something deep here.

people learn from mistakes and they imrove their wrongs.. they make them rights.. it may be seen in an optimistic view as when something is wrong they make it right

or a pessimistic view as in people change their morals to accept the wrong my making it become rights

if they didn't think they knew right from wrong then obviously it wouldn't matter anyway because they wouldn't know if there is a right or wrong