Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentOther - Politics & Government · 1 decade ago

What was United Nations Security Council Resolution 242 and what does it say?

1. UN Security Council Resolution 242 calls on all parties to the conflict to negotiate a solution

2. It anticipates that Israel will withdraw to secure borders (not specified in the resolution) in exchange for peace guarantees from the Arab parties

The Resolution was carefully worded to require that Israel withdraw from "territories" rather than "the territories." This construction, leaving out "the," was intentional, because it was not envisioned that Israel would withdraw from all the territories, thereby returning to the vulnerable pre-war borders. And any withdrawal would be such as to create "secure and recognized boundaries."

It was widely recognized that the balancing of the ideas of a territorial return with "secure and recognized boundaries" for Israel would mean that Israel would not be forced to withdraw from 100% of the land captured in the June 1967 war. There is a dispute between the British-American understanding of the wording of the resolution and the French

Update:

Max M. Kampelman, former counselor of the US State Department, said in a letter to The New York Times on April 8, 2002, referring to "territories recaptured from Jordan in 1967, territories that Jordan captured in its war against Israel in 1948-49":

* The United States voted in favor of Resolution 242 only after insisting that "all" had no place in it. The United Nations instead referred to the need to arrive at "secure and recognized" boundaries.

No one realistically expects Israel to withdraw before its security is assured. UNSCR 242 emphatically does not put any preconditions on Israel (or the Palestinian Arabs for that matter). Israel is perfectly within its rights to remain in place until there is a negotiated peace agreement acceptable to Israel as well as to the Palestinian Arabs. Israel moved into the West Bank and Gaza Strip areas as part of a defensive war started by the Arab enemies of Israel. Israel does not have to move out of those areas unless true peace erupts.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

1. UNSCR 242 calls on all parties to the conflict to negotiate a solution

2. It anticipates that Israel will withdraw to secure borders (not specified in the resolution) in exchange for peace guarantees from the Arab parties

• 3 years ago

nicely, i'm no longer Israeli yet i could say that a freelance between say 4 events the place only 2 events agree isn't a freelance. In different words, if 2 events interior the gang conform to no longer attack me however the third would not why could i choose for to offer up something. additionally, my information of the intenr of the contract is a million.UNSCR 242 calls on all events to the conflict to barter a answer. 2.It anticipates that Israel will withdraw to guard borders (no longer distinctive interior the call) in substitute for peace ensures from the Arab events. Israel has already withdrawn from the Sinai in step with peace agreements with Egypt or perhaps dismantled Sinai settlements. Israel has already ceded administration of huge components to the Palestinian Authority below the Oslo technique. yet each concession by utilising Israel below agreements with the Arafat corporation is observed by utilising terrorist assaults and new calls for. until there's a real peace, Israel has each precise to guard its usa by utilising ultimate interior the disputed components. As pronounced, i'm no longer Israeli. enable us to assume that Canada and Mexico attacked the US and we invaded southern Canada and northerly Mexico to make beneficial they won't rocket US cities. Canada has a similar opinion to honor our borders yet Mexico nevertheless maintains to attack US cities. i could wish that we would do in spite of substitute into mandatory to guard our sovereignty from Mexican aggression. In different words, i could argue that Article fifty one (self-protection) takes priority.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.