Is my Ear-nose-throat doctor competent?

I went to the ENT (a.k.a. otolaryngologyst) to get my nose cauterized. He did one side, but the other side was bleeding so he put a nasal pack in it.

he did this procedure without a nurse in the room, and I'm told that the nasal pack doesn't actually stop nosebleeds. I'm not sure that I'm dealing with a competent physician, as I've never had a pack before.

A nasal pack is extremely painful, by the way. If I knoew what he was going to do, I wouldn't have gone there. I need information on this procedure.

It turns out that my first doctor was incompetent, sort of. He didn't have a working suction machine, so he took the easy out (for him) of using the nasal pack. The next doctor found the vessel using a suction device and cauterized easily.

That first doctor is just one doctor I'll never go to again.

but it wasn't technically a second opinion because I already had the pack in my nose. You get a second opinion before a doctor does something stupid to you.

• LisaT
    Best Answer

He didn't do anything wrong, in my experience with ENTs, but he doesn't have a good bedside manner. He should have told you what to expect. Having a nurse in the room isn't a requirement, it's at his discretion, but again, he should be thinking about what's good for you. I recommend getting a second opinion.

p.s. a nasal pack doesn't stop an acute nosebleed - it treats the nasal cavities with chemicals that stop the irritation and swelling that cause chronic nosebleeds. It's more of a long-term procedure.

I don't think he did anything wrong either. He was just handling the situation according to protocol.

If you get frequent nosebleeds, you should try putting Vaseline in your nose. I had to get my nose cauterized twice and it didn't help. You have to do it more than once for it to be fully effective. The Vaseline will stop the dryness in the nose, making it harder for blood vessels to tear and bleed. If you don't want to go back to the doctor, try that for a while.

get a second opinion.