Why is the book Valley of the Dolls called Valley of the Dolls?

Favorite Answer

Valley of the Dolls: Valley, in a allegorical sense, refers to the depths to which the main characters plummeted. It can also be literally referenced as a place -- such as the San Fernando Valley in CA as I believe this is where the characters lived. "Dolls" is the slang term for the drugs used by the women-- seconal, nembutal -- basically stimulants (speed) to which they became addicted.

Valley Of The Dolls Book

Well for one, the characters are in a valley, and 2 the happy pills they take are called "Dolls" I watched the movie before/

Dolls was a very real slang term for tranquilizers at the time, which were very easy to get a prescription for. The most common was valium, immortalized by the Rolling Stones in 'Mother's Little Helper'--

And though she's not really ill

There's a little yellow pill

She goes running for the shelter of her mother's little helper

It was handed out almost like candy at one time because nobody thought it was addictive. Everybody at the time knew what the little yellow pill was, and probably knew someone taking it. I had a girlfriend that got it from the university health center for 'stress'. It could be deadly mixed with enough alcohol, and it WAS addictive.

This is a play on words-- the "dolls" refer to the women who are the main characters as well as the pills they are taking. And the valley is... well, the valley....

• senlin

In the world of Jaqueline Suzanne, "dolls" was a slang term for pills (in the real world, I don't think anyone ever used that term). Watch the movie. There's a great moment in which a scenery chewing Patty Duke is screaming "I need my dolls!" Definitely high camp. Of course, there may be some deeper symbolism at play, but if there is, it escapes me.

i think the book takes place in the san fernando valley near los angeles and it is about three women who are beautiful, troubled, and helpless to the world around them; like dolls who look so pretty and peaceful but are empty inside.

Dolls = pills

Valley = the lala land that the women live in (they actually live in Hollywood and NY

The book is about a woman addicted to uppers, downers, and anything else she can get her hands on. It's my 8th favourite book of all time.

Dolls was slang for pills.

Probably about California ' society '. They're all valleys, aren't they?