1) I would select the person based on specific needs and not perceptions,using a Q/A spreadsheet with weighted scoring criteria.
2) I would need to have a pool of perspective recipients in order to make the selection. This would allow for proper identification of that person.
3) After selection, I would then develop a list of needs/wants based on the selected persons input.
4) Together we would prioritize the list and make some sound decisions as to what would help change their life versus what would just be a short term improvement or a want not a need.
5) In order for this to be somewhat of a surprise, I would have multiple choices to select from that would accomplish the goal, but also surprise the person selected.
6) Continue to work with the person to assure they reach whatever goal they had set for themselves and keep a relationship with them.
7) Make a deal with them, that if you help them attain whatever goal they set for themselves, that they pass it on 10 fold.