how do you write an literary analysis paper?

What do you need to back up your thesis? any good resources?

thanks

Favorite Answer

According to my AP English teacher, when you write an literary analysis paper about the thesis, you have to back up your thesis with examples of how the example you chose support the author's thesis.

For example, I'm not sure if you ever read Catcher in the Rye by Salinger, but his thesis might be that "the time you spent with the ones you love are more important than spending time with others you know are going to ruin your life." Then, you will support this thesis by getting an example from the book, such as the images, and explain HOW the author used that image to get across what the author is trying to say to his/her readers.

Remember, the "HOW" the images, etc., that the author uses to get across his thesis is the most important in literary analysis! It's important to always include the author's name in the paragraphs. Also, it's alright to use "I" if you are writing the non-traditional or mix of non-traditional/traditional essay. However, if you are writing a traditional essay, then stay away from the "I".

It's the best if you can check with your teacher, because all teachers have different things to say! My teacher has been teaching AP English (Language and Composition) for who knows how long, so this is supposedly how you would write a literary analysis in an AP essay format. I hope this helps.

You need multiple examples and references to back up your original thesis. For simplicity, think of the 5 paragraph essay model.

Introduction/ Thesis

First subtopic

-support/quote

-support/quote

-support/quote

Second subtopic

-support/quote

-support/quote

-support/quote

Third subtopic

-support/quote

-support/quote

-support/quote

Conclusion and restating of original thesis

This is a really brief outline, but if you're unsure, try to map out your ideas first to create a really strong paper. But for lit analysis papers, quotes will be the vast part of your evidence. It's all about how and why things are said, not facts or numbers.

i'm a huge Jane Austen fan, so any of hers could be large. Northanger Abbey makes for a exciting assessment to Jane Eyre simply by fact it pokes exciting at how ludicrous that's to have something like a spouse in the attic, so if that appeals to you, i could strongly propose it. different than Jane, To Kill a Mockingbird is one in all my widespread books I ever examine at school. the large Gatsby is right there with it, and the two one in all them have plenty you may study, it may be no difficulty to do a paper on the two. in case you're into Harry Potter, there's a CRAP TON of symbolism there, it may be ordinary to do one on that. starvation video games is an incredible e book, yet greater of a shifting tale. in case you tried to place in writing a paper on it, the stuff that makes it so efficient is in general plot, and in case you have chose to be greater analytical it may be diverse asserting the glaring. reliable lady lead, corrupt government, etc. stable success on your paper!!!