Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

To capitalize "The" in university names or not?

Well, of course not. But could all you copy editors out there help me explain to my managing editor why we don't call it The George Washington University, simply because The George Washington University calls it The George Washington University?

Thanks!

For those of you who say to use it, I encourage you to type the following into Google:

"george washington university" site:hosted.ap.org

The Associated Press doesn't even USE the "the."

Favorite Answer

Oooo... I don't know if it's possible to successfully navigate the maze-like morass that makes up the minds of editors. But I can give you at least one more ball of string that might help get you through:

When Prince changed his name to an unpronounceable glyph, he was seldom referred to by that in print. Instead, he was just 'the artist formerly known as Prince'. Likewise, if I were to call myself the King of America, I'm sure stories about me would call me the 'self-proclaimed King of America' and not King Why.

Thus we see that common perception and convention usually trumps idiosyncracies of naming. George Washington University can call itself 'The Planet of Broccoli' if it wants to... but it can't make ME call it that!

• lou b

Hi Nothing. All titles including the word 'The' should begin with a capital letter on The. If you mean THE........then nah..............your editor is wrong.

Trust me...I'm a doctor's wife. x lol

I'm right though. Where does your editor get his ideas from? x

Sorry I bothered to try to help. Go straight to your better sources next time.

You are correct -- do not capitalize "the" unless it's at the beginning of a sentence... but I doubt your managing editor is going to listen to some anonymous online opinion...and if they wont listen to their own editor (YOU) why on earth do you work for them?

Yes. Capatalize it.

use capital!