Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 decade ago

Why do they put braille on the drive up ATM machines?

Favorite Answer

That is one damn good question. I think the person who thought of that idea had too much of my rum!

Rum shots to you!

Drive-up ATM buttons are marked with braille because federal regulations require it. To be specific, section 4.34.4 of the ADA Accessibility Guidelines for Buildings and Facilities (Appendix to Part 1191, 36 CFR Chapter XI, issued pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990) says, "Instructions and all information for use [of an automated teller machine] shall be made accessible to and independently usable by persons with vision impairments." Drive-up ATMs, unlike the walk-up variety, don't need to be wheelchair accessible, but the rules make no exception regarding accessibility by the blind.

Because a blind person needs to get cash out, too. :) They just simply ride with someone who can see. Some cities have limited ATM access, there may not be regular ATMS, and drive-ups are the only option to get cash out.

It's the same way in the drive through at fast food places.

Please There are enough bad drivers, I don't wanna think about the visually impared driving

• Shadow

Lol, I noticed that last pay day. I went throught the drive-through ATM & saw it....frankly, it shocked me until I decided that it might be there for a passenger or something, but that still seems odd to me.

Don't know, but it explains the way some people drive now doesn't it.

so the blind can get money out of it. they might not be able to drive but a friend can drive them there so they can withdrawl thier $$$$$$

For the sight-impared person in the back seat (driver's side, preferably).

I have no idea, doesn't inspire much confidence if you consider it an incentive for blind people to drive.

The same reason they have parking lots at taverns.