Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

A world without beer?

Sorry, I asked this question before, but I ended up deleting it, so I'm going to ask it one more time. I'm a psychology major and this interesting thought came to mind. How would a world without beer (or other alcoholic beverages) be different? Would it be better or worse?

Favorite Answer

Well, beer got me in a lot of trouble, but I think that the world would be better for some reasons and worse for some reasons. It would be better because we wouldn't have drunk driving accidents, alcohol poinsoning, and other related deaths. But, if we didn't have alcohol people would have to find something else to get them feeling that way, and that could lead to trouble.

Defiantly worse. Yes the drunk driving incidents would go down, but I think the suicide rate would go up. I always feel better when I have a beer or two. When you get very stressed out you think beer will help make you feel better but if there were no alcohol then people would turn to drugs. Then there would be drug related accidents and overdoses. I don't know what I would do without beer.

I don't drink beer, so I'd say that it wouldn't affect me, but it probably would in ways I can't think of.

Since beer is legal, a lot of people would be out of jobs. That would affect the economy.

People will always find some way to alter their consciousness. If not by alcohol, by drugs or herbs or licking toads.

Thats wonderful with me as long as theres nevertheless vodka... lol No i won't be able to image the international without beer - yet i think of if there substitute into no beer there could be something else to take its place...

• angel

You must be a Canadian. Beer is near and dear to the hearts of Canadians especially when accompanied with a hockey game. Beer is fine, its the over indulgence that is bad news, especially if you team loses.

Since I lived in a dry county once in the south, it didn't bother me at all b/c I'm not much of a drinker, but like one once in a while. We just went to the state line and bought the stuff anywany.

So that would lead me to believe that people would most likely go back to distilling their own spirits.

I think it would be better. A lot of accidents will decrease. There will be less people with those awful beer bellys lol. People wouldnt do stupid things when they are drunk. Overall I believe it will be a better place.

I'm a believer in the phrase "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" !!!

Some other intoxicant would be used in its place. Beer doesn't define human nature.

The world would be better because there would be less car wrecks because it would be no drunk drivers.