Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

At what age should kids be allowed to talk on the phone with members of the opposite sex?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

35 if they are a girl.

*scratches the back of her head*

This is something I never understood. What purpose does it serve to restrict a child from the opposite gender? You are the parent. You supervise the child and teach the child right from wrong and how to behave in certain situations. Restricting a child from speaking to the opposite gender is not supervision or teaching. Simply "You can't do this because I don't want you to." isn't going to work.

It's not about age. It's about your ability, skill and level of responsibility as a parent and the individual child.

How is it unreasonable for a child to talk to another student of the opposite gender about a school assignment, if it's truly a school assignment and the conversation is being appropriately monitored by the parent (for example, your daughter is in the kitchen talking about her science homework with little Johnny from down the street while you're making dinner)

16

I think any age,unless it's more than a friendship. I let my girls chat on the phone with "guy friends" at 13 yrs old. Yeah,,,, you can't get pregnant over the phone. And 16 to date,my oldest is almost 17 and is allowed to date,but she chooses not to. She just wants to remain friends with her friends that are boys. My 13 yr old is not allowed to date but can talk to boys on the phone. Neither 1 is boy crazy,,,thank god,,,

Any age what's wrong with talking. My 8 yo daughter 's BF is a 9 yo boy they have been forever and talk on the phone all the time

I would say around 12 or 13 but even then it would be for a certain amount of time. Yea I know its the phone but thats the gateway to other things happening.

• KathyS

You make it sound like members of the opposite sex are terrorists or something! Both my girls have always had friends that were boys and girls and what gender a friend is should not matter.

at age 13.

Around 12 or 13.....Is when they will start to want to....It is really up to you if you allow it or not....I do....I see no harm in a phone call...I can remember doing the same thing for hours and hours and hours.....And I still have no idea what the heck we talked about....lol

Why should age matter? They're just talking on the phone. The big ? should be when should they be able to date someone, then it gets scary!!

Any age.