Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

is the book eargon good????

Favorite Answer

Personally, I enjoyed it. No, it wasn't earth-shattering or anything like that, but it was a good story that you could share with your kids. I wouldn't recommend it for really young kids, but maybe 10 and up. Considering that the author wrote this at such a young age, it's an impressive feat. I'm looking forward to book 3.

If the customer reviews on Amazon are anything to go by, then you'll probably get quite a variety of opinions here.

If you're the type of person who likes long predictable fantasy stories about dragons and elves then you may well enjoy it. Personally I found the writing disappointingly amatuerish, even making allowances for the author's age. Any writer who uses redundant phrases like ("I'm sorry," he apologised), still has a lot to learn. There IS a lot of despcription; often too much. And finally, the plot is uncomfortably like "Lord of the Rings" and "Star Wars".

Okay, lots of people, both adults and children, love it ... but there are billions of books out there - you could probably find something more original.

yes, Eragon is pretty good. The sequel (Eldest) is better, imho.

If you didn't already know - the author wrote it when he was 15 and his parents self-published it and took it on a book tour with him before it got enough buzz to get picked up and re-published by a major publiishing house. So that makes it a fun story.

It doesn't break new ground in literature, but it's a strong fantasy story with solid characters and a great dragon.

No. For much better fantasy read The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman

I loved it. It's not a kid's book, either. I'm 43 and it still kept my attention. And it's very well written, with great descriptive vocabulary, well-developed characters, and a great plot line.

yeah

no