LT asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 decade ago

Abruptness - how to curb it or live with it??

My boss has recently described me as 'a very abrupt individual'. I know that I am, but does anyone have any tips on how to sound nicer and stop being so abrupt?

• Nikki
    Favorite Answer

Try thinking before you speak. Learn to catch yourself just before the instinct to open your mouth occurs. Are the sentences you are about to say appropriate?

I say this because I am exactly the same way. Some people are sensitive, and the easiest way to not offend anyone is to assume that EVERYONE is sensitive. Try to find more polite words, and use compassion - would you want to hear what you are about to say if the situations were reversed?

Good Luck! You can change this now that you are aware of it!

Listen to what the other person is saying...wait 10 seconds before you even attempt an answer. Abruptness is considered rude to some people (especially in the customer service field) and makes other people feel like they are being "rushed". I agree. It is something you'll want to work on. Bosses in particular might see it as being unprofessional and it could hinder any advancement on your part. Good luck! You can do it!

A kindred spirit! I'm told that I can come off as abrupt and even rude, but I don't intend that at all! Try to hold off on talking before you think about what you're saying and speak in a softer tone.

I dont see whats wrong in being abrupt

Take a deep breath, engage brain before opening mouth.

Excuse me if I maybe so blunt.....(same vibe)

Pardon my abruptness but .....etc.......

Bla blahhh.....oh my, please, don't mind my abruptness...I was born with it.

Please, don't let my abrupt manners fool you....I am very approachable...

• dymps

Do more listening, and think through what you say.

Well at least you tell it like it is.