Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsBirds · 1 decade ago

I have two peach faced lovebirds, one keeps pecking away at the other ones eye and around it is this normal?

The bird that is being pecked is starting to shut it's eye and it is starting to water quite a bit. I dont think the other bird is trying to pluck its feathers it always seems to aim for the eye. Why is this?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I don't know, but if you don't seperate them, you will have a dead or one eyed parrot. Take both to avain vet too see what the problem is...in seperate cages!

• 1 decade ago

The two need to be in seperate cages.

Lovebirds are very aggressive birds, and the one that is doing the pecking is probably a female. She is rejecting the other bird, and she will kill it if you don't seperate them.

Also, hake the one that is being pecked on into a certified Avian Vet to have it's eye checked out. It might have an infection.

Good luck.

Source(s): Owner of many birds and private refuge.
  • 1 decade ago

Just because they are called lovebirds does not mean that they are nice birds. They are very mean little birds. You can't keep them with other birds and unless they are bonded to the other bird, they CAN hurt the other lovebird.

I would get a second cage, keep them next to each other but do not let them be together.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

This is definitely a bad situation whether it's normal or not. These 2 birds need to have their own cage before 1 blinds or kills the other. Like now.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Yes, definately separate them right away!! There could be many factors that cause the aggression. How long have they been paired together? Do you know their sexes?

• Tom
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Separate them now.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.