Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

Bumper sticker: Support our troops / Bring them home?

Isn't this like saying Support Our Police/ Don't let them patrol dangerous neihborhoods because they may get hurt or Support Our Firefighters / keep them away from Fire?

Favorite Answer

Really, What's up with that anyway? We all Love and Miss our Soldiers and want them home that's a give in..but the stickers should just read support them...DUH

Good Analogy!

Hmm... okay I guess I am going to be the unpopular answer here. I was deployed there OIF III, and the support from the public is really something special - deep down. In some ways it is all that keep some troops going. With that said, and the current strategy in Iraq - most will tell you it is time for something to change. Either the rules of engagement need to change, the politics, or we need to bring them home. If the public supports bringing them home - I think it is safe to say most troops would not disagree.

It is a weak analogy to say that supporting our troops equates to keeping them off the battle field. The underlying issue here is frustration among those that are fighting this war. We have entered a realization that this is a no win win situation. I cannot begin to tell you how hard it is to be deployed for a year - putting your a s s on the line, and knowing your efforts are going nowhere. Most would tell you - this isn't working - either change the strategy or bring us home.

• jarhed

You pose a good question, but I think you can interpret the question more ways than one.

I support our troops 100 % and I also think that it is time to bring most of them home from Iraq and let the Iraq government step up and take control of their own Country. We cannot stay their forever and these people need to learn to stand up and fight for themselves. Our military has many functions all over the world that should be attended to. I think the bumper sticker supports both thoughts.

Just my 2 cents.

By the way - that's a great picture of you !

Source(s): USMC Proud Vet Patriot Guard Rider

No it isn't. The war in Iraq is unnecessary and unjust. Both America and Britain are culpable. Iraq is more dangerous now for the locals than it ever was, the West is NO more safer, There NEVER were WMD's. Killing Saddam will solve exactly NOTHING.

Afghanistan now is a different kettle of fish. I believe the Taliban need to be beaten. They actively support Al-Quaeda and a high percentage of the world's opium comes from this country and the Taliban produce it. Hypocrisy in the highest from them.

Well, for one, I am a Viet Nam vet and almost as old as McCain - and I support the troops, and their objectives, and the war on terror. Perhaps because I am unable to be "fighting in Iraq," I want other people to give a thought or two to the troops when they see the sticker.

I agree with James M. The reason people want our troops back home is because they don't agree with the war. I mean..my husband is a Marine and I don't agree with the war...of course I want them to bring our troops back. But what it comes down to is that yes they enlisted and I mean....if you enlist for the military you're pretty much the governments' puppets and you know that when you go in and also that you could go to war (duh) so I guess yes the magnets are kind of silly but when you have someone in there it makes sense.

To the other James M. I am also in the army, and you make the military and yourself look silly by your constant disregard for the proper use of language. There is also a spell check. To answer the question, support us when things go bad, support us when things go right and welcome us home as soldiers/sailors/marines and airmen, not as tools of the government, but those who chose to serve our country with honor and integrity.

• ?

Agree with yellow; the ROE's only serve to place our boys in undue danger. Many are simply ridiculous.

Let our military fight. Allow them to wage war without the worry they will be imprisoned for "war crimes" based on the testimony of the very people they are fighting.

To conduct a war without loosing the tactical might at our country's disposal is idiocy beyond repair.

History does not favor the meek and it vilifies the cowardly

For your question: I owe my freedom to the members of our military, and will stand behind them and their families-- no matter what

not really, i support our troops 100% but they can't fight a war with their hands tied behind their backs. The current rules of engagement are worse than in Vietnam. Either fix the public policy or bring them home. There is no sense in getting anymore of our troops senselessly killed for no end win.

Source(s): Army veteran 8 years

Anyone who acknowledges all war as bad is uneducated. But equally so is one who sees all war as good. The message being conveyed is "they don't need to be in Iraq, bring them home", nothing like what you state they're saying.