Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What does A.D. mean when writing dates?

I know that it means after Christ.... but what does AD stand for?

thx

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There is a lot of misconception that AD stands for"After Death"..meaning ..after the time of jesus christ..

But what AD really stands for is Anno Domini..(The time from the Birth of Jesus Christ)..For more details..check here,,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AD

• 1 decade ago

Anno Domini

Source(s): Wikipedia.org
  • 1 decade ago

Anno Domini

• gay
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

What Means Ad

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Anno Domini it's Latin

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

A.D = After David.

B.C = Before Christ.

• 1 decade ago

after david, look it up. Why are all these people saying after death, I haven't a clue.

I looked it up for you.

“A.D.” does not mean “after death,” as many people suppose. “B.C.” stands for the English phrase “before Christ,” but “A.D.” stands confusingly for a Latin phrase: anno domini (“in the year of the Lord”—the year Jesus was born). If the calendar actually changed with Jesus’ death, then what would we do with the years during which he lived? Since Jesus was probably actually born around 6 B.C. or so, the connection of the calendar with him can be misleading.

• 1 decade ago

It stands for anno domini

Source(s): class 4 history book
  • 1 decade ago

AD stands for the Latin, Anno Domini (I think that's how it's spelt), which is the plural of the Latin Annus Dominus, meaning "the year after".

• 7 years ago

refer to mahabarat war,ramayana,karnan we will understand most of the world story and even the missile was found and already have been used this era time.i study the scientific dating of the mahabarat war its all there.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.