Western religion and warfare, can you help me?

I am writing a paper about how the religious heritage of the west has effected warfare, can anyone give me any good sources (books, websites, videos)? Please stay away from sources that talk about the politics. It should be focused on how we conduct warfare. It should also be western religion, specifically: ancient babylon, helenistic/roman philosphy, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.

Best Answer

Hi,

Off the top of my head I can think of a few sources that might interest you from the classical period. You can purchase them as books, but you should find them internet and be able either to peruse or download.

Herodotus: The Persian Wars. He doesn't just talk about the Persian Wars, but delves into the history and culture of nearly all the Middle East and southern Europe.

Homer: Illiad and some of the Odyssey: Lets you see how the Greeks saw themselves, warfare and their religion at approx 750BC. Interesting because there are survivals from the Bronze Age. Also the Illiad was the one book that Alexander the Great took with him.

Thucydides: The Pelopennesian War. Although mainly political, it does give you insights into piety etcetera, sacrifices that were part of warfare.

Arrian: The Campaigns of Alexander. Interesting to see how Alexander turned himself into a God.

Polybius: The Rise of the Roman Empire. Mostly political, but he does have passages where he talks about the concept of Tyche (Fortuna) and how luck rules. Interesting for second century BC Greek thought.

Plato: Laws, the Republic, talks about the best type of city state, with new mythology etc. Might give you some insight, but it is totally theoretical and was never done.

Aristotle: The Politics, might be helpful, more on the constitutions of city states, but it might have references.

Now for some Medieval:

Gregory of Tours: History of the Franks. This is a religious man's view of the political history of what we call France in the 6th century AD, mostly political, but there is religious thought in there.

St Augustine: City of God. Written at the fall of the Roman Empire, it should have some references to how warfare should be done, etc.

Anything you can find on the Crusades, God's deeds done amongst the French (can't remember author) is a sourcebook about the first crusade.

Anything about the Truce Of God. The concept tried to limit private warfare.

St Thomas Aquinas? Maybe, he said something about it.

Anyway, that's all I think of off the top of my head. Please contact me if you need more help.

Good Luck,

Demociticus

that's between the tens of millions of strategies human beings have interpreted and tried to make experience of this straightforward journey we call life. Who cares what direction it got here from? wonderful element though, and couldn't you characteristic the actuality that at the same time as Hinduism and Buddhism spread one direction, and Christianity grew out in yet another; to three volume Judism and Islam basically stayed at abode? VooDoun is a western faith, and so are all American Indian Faiths, MesoAmerican Faiths and Inuit Faiths.