How do you free up storage on your pc?

I' ve used about half of my storage space up on my computer and I was wondering if there was alway to gain some storage space back by deleting files or programs. If so, what usually takes up the space that I could probably get rid of?

• Moon
    Favorite Answer

Yes, if you have Windows XP go to:

Start -> Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> Free up space on your hard disk.

This will give you a list of files/folders that can be deleted and how much space you'll be able to gain by deleting them. Most of the times, things that can be deleted are temporary internet files and files in the recycle bin.

Also, in order to remove programs that you don't use, go to:

Start -> Set Program Access and Defaults -> Change or Remove Programs.

And wait for all programs on your computer to load.

There, you can chose to uninstall some programs to free up your disk space.

If all these are not sufficient, you have to take out some files and save them on DVDs or get an extra HD (internal or external) and move files to it.

Defragmentation can improve the performance of your HD, but it doesn't really free up/ increase your storage space. All it does is files that are chopped up (fragmented) and saved at different locations on the HD disk are put together. After defragmentation, each file is saved at one location of the disk, and therefore, they run faster. That's all.

I too had the same problem. I tried everything including defragmentation but of no use.So I made a detailed note of all the files in C drive(exercise judgment while selecting in windows folder->only major files),copy their details in an excel sheet.analyze the initial space with end of day space.

most space is occupied by documents & settings,important of that to see hidden folders like local settings,application data etc...

delete unnecessary files in them.you can get the free space.

also right click C: drive press disk clean up.

a window will open ,on the top find more options icon.

clear restore points so that only recent restore points are kept.this will give you a lot of free space

Try defragging your computer and scan the disk for free space. Also i recommend you Clean up! site-http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/

I recommand this to everyone!! its once of the best cleaners ever!

those are 2 tuff Oppenents I reccomend the HP - Pavilion All-In-One laptop with AMD Athlon II for the extreme overall performance form consumer the consumer who's into countless video games because of the fact the HP multi functional Deskptop has speedier Hardware components however the Sony - VAIO All-In-One laptop with Intel® Pentium® Processor is for the clientele who choose for to shop alot of Media data aqnd have the skill to observe Blueray content playback on their laptop yet doenst have speedier components because of the fact the HP multi functional laptop. in certainty HP - Pavilion All-In-One laptop with AMD Athlon II twin-middle is for individual who choose for to play video games yet lack the luxuary. As the place the Sony - VAIO All-In-One laptop with Intel® Pentium® Processor is everythig else the HP multi functional isnt

Right click your HDDs and go to disk cleanup, also go to control panel, add or remove programs and uninstall programs you never use or will need.

• cork

disc clean-up

defrag

do un-install programs

delete files no longer needed

copy files to cd/back up file. and then delete those files.

download to cd all you can and dump those files

just keep master.

Try downloading a program called Ccleaner. AKA Crap Cleaner. It works great and its free.

when u left click delete u can recycle or change or remove go to change and remove

do a sisk cleanup and defrag