Can you own a pet chimp?

I just think they'd be the best pet you could have... Unless they turn on you. They're very strong. All muscle, no fat. They could really do some damage I think. Always risky having a pet with opposable thumbs.
Update: Okay, based on the first three answers, I'm going to cancel my plans to raid the primate lab at my local university for my new pet. I guess I'll stick to something really boring like a gerbil or ferret or something. Sheesh.
Update 2: Dear remaining, or previous readers of this question. I wrote it with tongue firmly planted in cheek. I have no intentions, serious or otherwise, of ever owning a primate. I really do realize that it is innappropriate to keep one in anything resembling a 'normal' household. My question was the result of a... show more Dear remaining, or previous readers of this question. I wrote it with tongue firmly planted in cheek. I have no intentions, serious or otherwise, of ever owning a primate. I really do realize that it is innappropriate to keep one in anything resembling a 'normal' household. My question was the result of a silly, insomnia induced, musing at 1 AM. You can hold off your phone call to your local animal control board and all breathe a sigh of relief. I'm not getting a monkey, or ape or any other kind of exotic pet.