dolly

What are your opinions on painting little girls nails?

I'd really like to paint my 5 month old daughters nails to match her outfit for thanksgiving. She has a well being check up in a few weeks and I'll get the docs opinion then, but I would like to know what other mothers are doing. Would a non chip childs nail paint be alright?

I'm sure it'll come up so I'll just let you know, I would never use anything with lead, I think it's been banned anyhow.

I agree, peircing a babies ears would hurt soo much. I won't consider it until she's old enough to ask.

How in the world would it damage her nails?

Yeah, that's why I said I was going to ask the doctor. Why would I do it before hand?

Favorite Answer

Gross

I'd really like to make my little girl into a princess as well, so I understand where you are coming from. When she was around 10mths old I bought these very cute little barrettes to put in her hair... 5min later I caught her trying to eat one! Stopped my heart for a few seconds until I pried it out of her mouth. Hmm, nail polish, I think she'd be sticking her fingers in her mouth too much to do it. I've never looked though, they make nail polish just for children? If so, they probably have an age on it right? I'm guessing you'll have to wait a bit longer, but I'd be interested in hearing your pediatrician's comment. And dont feel bad for all those jerks giving you a hard time for wanting to make your girl beautiful, there are plenty of people on here you can just ignore.

It is fine. Look first to see if you can find something you like in that is made for children and if you can't find anything you like there you can always get some in the women's section that is hypoallergenic and that will be fine. A tip that my family physician gave me when I wanted to do my daughter's nails is to do them when she is sleeping. If you do that she is less likely to smudge the paint, try to grab at the polish brush, put them in her mouth before they are dry, etc. When she wakes up they will be done and more than likely she will not even notice you did it and will not be tempted to bother them. I've been doing my daughter's nails for years and she is two now. Good luck.

I would not recommend it at all. Although nail polish may be non chip I am sure if she nibbles enough she could swallow pieces. It is not worth the risk of your baby being sick. I would NEVER think of putting nailpolish on a baby.

Why not call your doctor's nurse and leave a message. They will speak to the doctor and get back to you. I don't think any doctor with half a brain cell would EVER ok this.

good luck

Probably not a good idea just because she'll end up eating it and even a non chip childs one...well you should just wait until you ask the doctor just to be sure.

• casw1

i'm a picky person, but i could barely wait for my daughter to born to do cute stuff with her!! i painted her nails before she was a month old. yeah, ask the doc, read labels etc and remove it when the party is done....although i would think that the chemicals in removers are far worse than those in polish. have a happy thanksgiving!!

I think it's cute. Anyhow, as far as eating it is concerned, a friends one year old ate almost a whole bottle of nail polish (who the heck knows why?.. mmm great tasting?). They called poison control, and nothing was done, she is fine.... they said it won't do anything to her.

I was thinking a whole bottle? I guess it's non toxic. Anyhow, good luck, it's a one time event, ok maybe xmas? I paint my 2 year olds... she loves to do them, and do her daddys toes too.

i would prefer not to because shes to young do it when shes a bit older its just my guess im not sure but i wouldent paint my daughters nails till shes about a few years old

i would not do that ,because her nails are still very sensitive, i don't know, but that could damage her nails.and if she puts her fingers in her mouth she might eat it. Good luck, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Easier on her than piercing her ears. It really burns me to see a baby or little girl with pierced ears.

5 months is way too young as they still put their fingers in their mouths and will eat it.