Isn't the Mc in the surname McNulty pronounced Mick?!?

That is my last name and someone told me it's pronounced Mack not Mick (this was my mother and this is not her last name), my father told me it was mick. I think it's Mick also. If it was Mack wouldn't it be MacNulty? Does anyone know for sure?

Favorite Answer

It can be said, and is both ways, but I think you are correct - mick. The difference is slight and is really nit picking.

Yes, Mc is pronounced Mick, if it were pronounced Mack it would be Mac you are very correct. My maiden name is an Mc There are some Mac names and many Mc names I have never heard anyone pronounce the Mc as Mack! God bless***************

Mc is the " black Irish " designation of, "son of". A people, Scot-Gaelic, who were ensconced on the west coast of Ireland over 800 years ago. Pronounced" Mick". Mac is, of course, the Scottish spelling, also meaning, "son of". Pronounced " Mack ". The English brought the Scots, soon to be known as, " black Irish ", to west Ireland to help keep down the Irish. Why they were called black Irish, I do not know, but soon they were fully Irish and opposed to the Brits. I am a McCann and proud to say, off the Brits!

PS Do not worry how a hamburger chain either spells or pronounces their name. After all, it is "Mickey D's ".

Mc is deffo Mick and Mac is Mac. Though everyone pronounces Mc Donalds fast food Mac Donalds. Dont they ??

well "mc" or "mac" in gealic mean son of, pronounced "mack" but softer finish than that ,more of a cross between moc and mac

"ni" or "nic" mean daughter of