Do you truly think President Nixon was a bad man?

Especially, compared with other presidents, his advisors, and the glut of media hounds that were ready to pounce on any dirt they could find just to earn a dime. I guess I could ask the exact same question about President Clinton.

Favorite Answer

No I don't. I think he had the misfortune of getting caught. He did the right thing by stepping down. He put the presidency first. Clinton however put himself first.

I believe Nixon was a very good president who got caught under a very bad spotlight. He got us out of Viet Nam and eased our relations with China, something other presidents had failed at. Watergate was his downfall, true enough, but only because he was caught. Those sorts of "below the radar" activities are nothing new for high-level politics.

As for Clinton? I feel he did very little as president, relying on the unstable dot.com boom to carry the economy while he played parlor games. He all but ignored the very serious problems that were growing right under his nose while gleefully abusing the power of the office, killing off his enemies, and denying everything. Had he been more focused on the job instead of screwing around it's possible he would be remembered for a lot more than Whitewater, Monica-Gate, an expensive impeachment case, and an unexplained pile of dead bodies.

Nixon was elected because he promised "Peace with Honor". We were caught in a war we didn't know how we could win. 10 years, 50,000 dead US troops, we killed at least 1.5 million of the enemy and they wouldn't quit. Most US citizens wanted out but didn't want to look like we lost. There was no plan for peace or honor. There was a ceasefire negotiated so we could get out. That was just befor he was re-elected(there was some press about Watergate but few believed it was more than a few misguided individuals associated with the administration. It went all the way to top, as it turned out. Nixon resigned to avoid hearings. Yes, today, there's such a culture of corruption that people seem to accept, Nixon would be one of the good guys, I suppose. I think that's a sad commentary on us and our government.

Compared to every Republican President who's followed, he's not so bad. He even created the EPA, which many conservatives have tried to dismantle. And he did open up talks with China. Unfortunately, his paranoia got the better of him, and between the actions of CREEP and Watergate, it really tarnished his accomplishments.

Clinton is not flawless, but our country prospered under his administration more than Bush and Bush Jr.'s combined. His lie doesn't compare to the Bushs' which have lead to thousands of deaths of American personnel and Iraqi civilians. Clinton -- despite Lewinsky-Gate -- still garners more respect and integrity that Dubya can ever pray for.

Hello,

No, I do not. I think he just lost his way.

Win at any and all costs.

I went to his funeral in 1994 in Yorba Linda, CA. I used to live in West Covina, about 25 minutes from Yorba Linda. My friend and I went through the library, signed a guestbook and also took a tour through his childhood home that sits on the library grounds.

Every Christmas I would receive an ornament from the library.

***Although, I wish he had never had talks with the Chinese. Now, all our goods and services come from China and practically all oursourcing goes to China. What a shame. We wanted whatever we wanted NOW and were not willing to WAIT, patiently, like the Chinese have for decades. We will pay dearly for this you know.***

Hope this helps you.................................... :-)

No his policies and deeds far surpass his defects. He was needlessly unkind to his subordinates at times but probably a result of his abuse because he was not handsome and not a charmer. Wish he were president now he would not have gotten us into the mess we are in.

Bush is a much less moral man than Nixon ever was! Nixon didnt pay off the right folks...Bush however - must have!

No, Nixon was one of this countries greatest President, his only crime was being loyal to members of his cabinet.

He wasn't any more crooked than any other politician at this level. He just got caught.

No not at all he was an unlucky captain