How do I put screws into plaster walls?

I want to hang a mirror from IKEA, but it requires screws. And every time I try to screw one into the wall, a bunch of plaster comes out and the screw just falls out. How do I get the screws to work in a plaster wall?

Favorite Answer

You need a wall anchor to go in the plaster. So you need to get expansion anchors - usually a plastic sleeve type - you need a drill with a bit the same diameter as anchor. slide the anchor in the hole, put the screw all the way in the anchor sleeve to expand it - then back it out to hang the mirror. Use at least the number of anchors recommended for the weight of mirror.

you have 2x4s called studs in your walls that hold up the plaster board they are spaced 16 inches apart on center that means that the center of the first stud is 16 inches from the next.

you have to drive the screws into the studs. you'll want 21/2 inch screws so you can leave about 1/4 inch out of the wall to hang the mirror on. to find the stud bang on the wall with your knuckles listening to the sound of the wall. the closer you come to a stud the less hollow the wall will sound. hang the mirror over the holes that didn't hold

very confusing thing. try searching using search engines like google. just that might help!