my 10 yo son has a habit of running his fingers, in a v shape, over creases in his clothes, sound familiar?

i'm just wondering if anyone else has seen this habit and if they've drawn any conclusions about its origin or significance.

Favorite Answer

My brother, when little, used to bite on the collars of all of his shirts 'till they were frayed. He "grew" out of it. Most likely your son will, too. He must be getting some sort of positive feedback from it, though. One might be tactile stimulation (it just feels good). Another might be as a tension reliever or, as someone else suggested, an aid to focusing on a higher-level task. Don't worry. There are far worse idiosyncrasies that he could have, such as girls who CONSTANTLY twirl their hair.

Source(s): Tourette syndrome, by the way is a neurological disorder characterized by repetitive involuntary movements such as head and shoulder jerking, outbursts of swearing, hyperactivity, and, yes, obsessive-compulsive behavior. But if your son had this severe disorder, his teachers at school or you would have detected it by now.

This is probably just a form of self stimulation. Many people have habits like this that help them to focus attention, self sooth, etc. Its completely normal. I would be thankful that he has such a non-intrusive one! He could be biting his finger nails or something.

I saw a documentary on t.v. the other day on tourette syndrome, one of the main points tothis disease is absessive compulsive disorder, you should take your son to his doctor and explain what you have observed, see if there is any testing that can be done to check for tourette syndrome... I hope this info helps

yes I've seen but never bother to know it's significance or origin

i have no idea Wat's his name my daughter wants to no she 10 also

I do it, it feels good. Let it be.

he sounds concious and nervouse..