How much sleep should a person get if they work 12 hour shifts?

Favorite Answer

Sleep all the rest of the time to keep your sanity - seriously. Especially if you already know you are feeling stressed about your work schedule. At least get 8 hours of sleep, and preferably 10. That should help with the stress tremendously! That will leave you with 2-4 hours to do other things, like eating, watching TV, being with your significant other, working out, whatever you like. That is what I have done and I don't notice myself being stressed.

The amount of sleep you need doesn't necessarily change just because you are working 12 hour shifts. Your body needs what it needs depending on the individual, activity level, etc. Generally, 7 or 8 hours per day is recommended for adults, but this can vary, depending on the individual. I've never heard of anyone having trouble if they get that much on a regular basis.

i slept 8 when i had 12 hour shifts i didnt have time to do anything cuz i worked 7 days a week but i got enough sleep

YOU SHOULD GET 8 HOURS. I HAVE WORKED 12 HOURS FOR 10 YEARS. I HAVE EVEN ASKED MY DOCTER THAT IS WHAT HE TOLD ME.