hihi asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 1 decade ago

What was Marie Curie's worst decision and why?

Favorite Answer

Her worst descision was the one that caused her death. She was unprepared, and inknowledgeable of the materials she was working with. If I remember correctly, she was working with Radon, she was exposed to too much radiation, which caused her death. She didn't know what radium could do, and wasn't prepared on its effects. She could have avoided this by taking more safety precautions, and had someone else help her with her experiments.

At the time, people didn't know the harmful effects of nuclear radiation. She spent a large portion of her adult life handling radium and Polonium with no more protection than normal street clothing. I'm sure in retrospect she would have worn protective clothing. Did you know that Marie Curie was the only person to receive two Nobel prizes in science? BTW That last sentence has clues to two elements on the Periodic Table. What are they?

Source(s): I am a Chemistry teacher.