why is my cd burner saying there is no cd in the drive ONLY when i go to burn something?

My cd burner works perfectly in every way except when u go to burn, the CD writing wizard says there is no cd in the drive. All other cd-rom functions work on this drive. When you open "my computer" the drive is showing a disk in the drive. You can open it and explore it, software and music cds work fine. it even says that there is a CD-R in the drive. As soon as u try to burn ANY type of file to a cd it gives you the message....there is no cd in the drive. i've gone into the device manager and it says the drive is working properly. Thank you for any ideas.

Favorite Answer

Only thing I know is it may be a bad cd-r disk. I've had that problem. If you've tried multiple disks, I don't known what to tell you. Hope this helps!

do you have two drives installed and the other one is the one set to allow burning on this drive in the disk drive properties.? i like the way you said your cd burner works perfectly except when you go to burn something!!! HA HA LMAO

If you have erase the CD, you cannot burn on the CD again, just pick another CD and try to burn it on the new CD.

If the problem persist, check your hardware

u need to format ur cd bcuse if u put ina cd to burn whatever u want is going to say no cd ,format the cd and then u can put any thing u want