Reversals of Earths magnetic poles?

I know that the magnetic field of earth( North and south poles) will eventually flip. My question is that if they flip, will it be over a week, a year, 10000 years? and what effect will it have on humans and animals? I have heard and radiation, and birds getting confused. other than that, is there anything that might effect life on earth on a large scale? I also heard that the axis of rotation might swtich. Is this true? if it is, what effect will this have in life? Thanks sooooooooo much!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There was a recent Nova program that said a magnetic reversal had been captured in a lava flow, so that it had reversed while the lava was cooling.

On the other hand, they also indicate that the reversals take place as localized anomalies, so that only the area of the volcano may have reversed.

More info at

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/magnetic/reversals.ht...

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Since the mechanism of the generation of the Earth's magnetic field is not fully understood, then neither is the reversal mechanism, so any answer is a reasoned guess rather than a deduction.

Based on the relatively small changes in the axis and intensity of the field since accurate observations began, say 150 years approximately, it seems unreasonable to suppose that it could completely reverse in any less than about a thousand years.

However, based on an estimated half million years between reversals, if the reversal took much longer than about ten thousand years to complete, there would not be such an overwhelming preponderance of axially-magnetised geomagnetic specimens.

I have seen some web sites talking complete nonsense about a possible reversal of the axis of rotation. From the conservation of angular momentum, this is completely implausible.

• 4 years ago

in accordance to evidence on the backside of the Atlantic Ocean, such reversals have taken place many circumstances contained in the previous. As lava squeezes out from between the continental plates on the sea floor, magnetic minerals contained in the lava grow to be "frozen" in place with the aid of fact the lava solidifies. The instructions of their magnetic moments point out the present process the Earth's 2nd while the lava haardened. diagnosis of this hardened lava shows that those "frozen" 2nd signature opposite each and every so in many circumstances. I forget approximately what the era is, yet i think of it is so plenty greater in many circumstances than the mass extinctions we already recognize approximately. as nicely, whether we are killed by a magnetic container reversal, so what? we are actually not something worth modern-day right here, and yet another existence type - probable a minimum of as "clever" than us - will finally persist with. issues stay and die, species come and pass. stay contained in the 2nd - that's all you extremely have besides, magnetic container or no longer.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.