Makaela S asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

i need horse help?

my horse wnt take the bit easly is it too small?am i doing something rong

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Check the bit size - you need about a 1/4 inch showing on each side on the outside of his mouth. Any less and it may be pinching, any more it is too large and will move around in his mouth. Both will hurt.

do not force the bit in his mouth by clunking it against his teeth. That will make the problem worse.

Check this link and look at how the person is stanidng and bridleing this horse...

http://www.newrider.com/Library/Riding_Tips/fittin...

Their thumb is in the horses mouth pressing gently on the bars of the mouth, causing the horse to open up and take the bit. The reins around the neck to have some control of the horse.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

not sure how long you have owned this horse and how long the problem has been brewing, but some things to think about. when were his teeth last checked. if he needs to have his teeth floated this will cause him not to take the bit easily. how old is he? does he still have is wolfe teeth in, this will cause problems. what kind of bit is it? maybe it's too strong of a bit. he's trying to tell you something, so you have to figure out what it is. have you been taught how to bridle a horse properly? are you hitting his teeth when you put the bit up to his mouth? check his mouth for sores, bad teeth etc. once you have gone thru this check list, then it's time to fix his bad habit.

one thing that works well is try giving him a carrot or an apple and while he is eating it put the bridle on. his mind is taken off of the issue and he can start to associate being bridled with food. keep cookies or carrots/apples in your hand as you bridle also.

hope this helps and good luck

• 1 decade ago

The bar might be to cold so try warming that up a bit, don't force him to put it on allow him to take it in his mouth, he might have developed a bad habit, once you do get it on him, then be sure to put it on him once or twice every single day.

• 1 decade ago

I would contact the people you bought the horse from and ask them the same question. You could also go to a local tack shop and bring the bit with you and maybe they could help you out. Good Luck!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

He's either not used to being ridden like that (which might be it if you got him from somebody else or have brought him up yourself and didn't teach him correctly) or you have the wrong type of bit for his mouth. Make sure his bit fits comfortably in his mouth.

• 1 decade ago

More than likely your horse has just developed a bad habit. I would try putting applesauce on the bit.

• 1 decade ago

Nope you are not doing something wrong. The horse is not taking it- he is being way too fussy. Put your fingers bu the back of his mouth, on the outside!!! And he should open wide.

Source(s): horse owner
  • 1 decade ago

make sure the bit fits,doesnt pinch and your not causing him pain when riding, is the bit to harsh for him ? is he young ? maybe he doesnt like a cold bit in his mouth , i know it sounds funny but i wouldnt like cold steel shoved into my mouth, and yes try putting something tasty on it,

• 1 decade ago

you need to push the bit in his mouth but not hard. you might not be doing something wrong if not write me back at kulp_ashley@yahoo.com i lived around horese all my life.

• 1 decade ago

either force it in or you could try putting beer on it for awhile

or ou but him another bit to see if he likes it better.

my hourses like copper bits

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.