How did you decide on your career path?

And are you happy? I've had loads of ideas about what I should do but can't decide! other people's experience would be helpful.

• msuzyq
    Favorite Answer

Which career? I've been in the hotel, retail and restaurant industries. And now I'm a massage therapist. Life experience has led me in several different directions. Once I stop being happy in a career, I look to change it. I've had jobs where I enjoyed it so much I LIKED working 70 hours a week. Some people find themselves content doing the same job for years and years then retiring. I found I could NEVER do a desk job, I hate repetition, I hate being bored. I don't think anyone should ever feel like they "have" to pick something and that's it. I know a woman who was a teacher for 20 years, then quit and went to medical school to become a doctor. I think there is too much emphasis on teenagers to pick a career in high school, my niece is in "pre-engineering" classes, she is 15!

I can't tell you a career path, but I suggest trying this... Take all of the careers you mentioned (love of animals, computers, drawing etc. And even your nursing and IT classes) and look at each one. Make a list of what you love about each of those things. Ex. in nursing you like helping others, you enjoy learning about chemistry and so on. Do this for each path. Extrapolate what you like about a certain career, and also list what you DON'T LIKE about each. Look at your list and decide from there what career offers the most matches to what you enjoy in each career path. Make sense?

By the time I was 20 my mother was almost 60 and my father 70. It was easy for me to look at them and the paths their careers had taken and design my own life based on that observation. Well, they were on an extremely limited income, having never stayed in one job for long (always looking for something better. . . ) so I decided I definitely did NOT want to be like them. I decided a job working for the government was for me. I ended up, based on my love of the outdoors, in a job in the US Forest Service and another in the National Park Service. Since they were both federal jobs, they counted toward "one career" when counting service years. I earned top dollar compared to most jobs in the local economy, and there were always more challenges because I could transfer and promote to new places and new positions. I heartily recommend a decision like mine if you are interested in security and a definite retirement income.

Do not worry about other people. you need to take a "career assessment test".

Type this in to yahoo and take several they are some for Free. Be honest with your answers since you only be fooling your self if you over think the test. And you may want to take several to see what they all say.

Best of luck

u simply have to know yourself very well, u choose to do what u like to do, and what u are able to do. so ... combine the pleasure with some of your abilities cand capabilities and than u`ll know. don`t think about money at the beginning, because from every career u can get money after u`ll become good on your area, first u should choose what`s best for your personality and than improve your qualities, there`s the only way to make it.

When you like to do something--this may decide your career choice--join my business group and you will get more than one answer! email me at jaysweep@yahoo.com.