Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

cat feeding?

i feed my cat both dry food and canned food but there is a lady i work with that doesnt feed her 4 cats canned but just dry food, she says they dont need canned food...what is the best thing to do?

Favorite Answer

we have had cats for a long time - we have a self feeder of dry and then give each cat a small scoop of soft each night. they dry helps them and their teeth - where the soft give a lot of oils they need for furballs and other things. so go with a little of the soft, it does have a lot of fats in it - which can hurt if it is given too much. but also use a self feeder of dry so they can munch as they like. it works - believe me

• zilmag

Whether it's dry or canned doesn't make that much difference. The main thing is the quality of protein.You can get more nutritional value for dry food, per dollar, assuming you buy a quality brand. With 4 cats it's probably just easier and cheaper to feed only dry.

It just depends on the cat, which is better. Some cats will overeat and become fat if they get canned food; some get dental disease. The main reason to feed canned food is for yourself - because it feels good to feed the cat a very tasty food, and some variety, because the cat seems to enjoy it when you do.

I think you are doing the right thing. If you will consider what a veterinarian has to say on that subject, go to: wwwlittlebigcat.com and read Dr. Jean Hovfe's article titled, "Why Cats Need Canned Food." To put the old canard about dry food cleaning teeth you can also read the article "Does Dry Food Clean the Teeth?"

Since I feel you have made the right decision about feeding your cats you might want to print out those articles if you can and show them to your friend.

Cats don't NEED canned food but they might enjoy it.

My cat, for example, absolutely refused to eat anything except the cheapest, generic dried food. I was like WTF, and tried everything. He would eat people food, however. Lol, he was the ninja food stealer too. I almost never caught him doing it. Like, I would get a bucket of KFC, right and leave it on the table. I never ever, EVER caught him nabbing a piece. But I would find completely desicated chicken bones behind the couch all the time. He would steal a piece and hide it back there and then come out like nothing was up. Then, when I was asleep, go back there and feast until nothing was left.

Used to do the same thing with the fish tank. I'd keep it covered, right. But, the fish in there would mysteriously disappear and occassionally, I'd find one flopping around on the floor when I got back. The weird thing is I would never find the lid open. He would flip it open, get fish and flip it closed. This didn't stop until I learned to put a heavy object on the lid to keep it closed. At first I used books but I came home one day to find them on the floor.

Wiggy.

I feed my cats dry food and then give them canned food as a treat. They love it. I am not sure what is really best but here are some sites that may give you some good advice on the subject:

http://cats.about.com/od/catfoodandnutrition/f/can...

Continue to feed your cat both dry and canned food. I feed my cat 1 to 2 cans of food a day, and I leave a medium bowl of dry food out that he can nibble on all day. Canned food will help keep your cat hydrated as well.

Good luck.

I suggest the dry food. You can give your cat a treat of canned food once in a while, but the problem with giving a cat canned food all the time is they develop dental problems. Canned food can tend to stick to their teeth and gums causing gingivitus. If you brush your cats teeth with pet toothpaste (never use toothpaste for humans on a pet) then it should probably be okay, but I have a really hard time brushing my cats teeth!

I think dry food is probably better for cats but for a treat canned food is good. I wouldn't give it all the time just for a treat when your cat is on its best behaviour.

you ought to feed your cat some cooked chicken, fish, or pork mixed with rice for a meal or 2. Milk provides cats diarrhea & could reason lactose intolerance, so supply none or purely small parts. even with the indisputable fact that, if its milk or starvation, i assume you supply milk. i do no longer understand in case you in simple terms forgot to %. up foodstuff on the save & this could nicely be a one time component, or in case you have no longer have been given any ability of offering for the cat. in case you have no longer have been given any money & prefer foodstuff, each so often the Humane Society or different communities should help for a short perior of time. Please make your kitty a precedence & confirm which you do are assembly it particularly is "desires" in the previous assembly your "needs".

• kat k

Everyone has their own opinions..I personally wouldn't want to eat cereal all my life, I think variety is good! Canned also helps them not to get hairballs!

Mine get canned, dry, and home cooked meals..I change flavors daily..but always try and stick to the best brands our vet suggested